Sign in to follow this  

the PATH of the young GAME DESIGNER. Start as a Level Designer?

This topic is 4020 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, first of all, let me introduce myself. I'm a graduated student of CS and Multimedia for Enginyeria La Salle, in Barcelona, Spain. My final thesis was about game design, including topics like behavioral psychology, game theory, narrative, gameplay balance, etc. Now, I'm interested in doing the "DESS en design de jeux" in Campus Ubisoft. Also, as second option, I'm interested too in "Conception et réalisation de niveaux de jeux vidéo" course. It's said that is nearly impossible to start working as a game designer straight the university. So, my question is: Is better to do a course about level design and then, once inside a company, try to reach the desired game designer position? Or is better to do a very focused degree in game design? Which jobs could I apply after the end of the degree? Tester, level designer as well (I already have knowledge of 3d modelling)? Which policy have companies like Ubisoft about this matter? Which is the most reliable path inside a company to get the game designer job? I really want to do this job. I read a lot, I've done a thesis about it, but I need to do the final step to get inside the industry. So any light and advice for this matter will be very welcomed. Thanks for your time!!

The point is, I face to two diferent ways:

1) Do a Level Designer programme (not my main interest) (http://campusubisoft.com/fr/conception.php)
2) Be hired as a Level Designer
3) Try to reach the Game Designer position from inside

or,

1) Do a Game Designer degree (my main interest) (http://campusubisoft.com/fr/DESS.php)
2) Be hired as QA or Level Designer (without the best preparation, as I wouldn't have done the Level Designer programme)
3) Try to reach the Game Designer position from inside

Right now I'm more in the first option. I believe is a more practical aproach to the deal. Is mainly a matter of numbers; for one GD there are many LD involved in the project.

Also, checking webs like IGDA.org, many insiders seem to confirm that they will trust in someone inside the company to take the jump to the GD position, instead a newcomer.

Suggestions, past experiences, opinions, advices? Thanks!

The only thing I can suggest is make a game, don't worry about all of these companies and trying to get a job at UbiSoft, ect... You need a portfolio and some projects, I suggest you join a smaller company that’s making a game and make a portfolio for yourself then go and apply for a job at UbiSoft for example. Some companies will require two years of programming experience outside of school and at least one completed game title.

I can't be 100% sure on how you need to go about getting your dream job, no one else on this forum can tell you either. You need to go out and do it by getting some projects done.

This topic is 4020 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.