Handling Animation in DX 9.0c

Started by
7 comments, last by steelblob 17 years, 4 months ago
I am having a hell of a time using ID3DXFileData to create animated .X models. Me and a couple others have been converting the DX 9.0a code of "Programming Role Playing Games With DirectX: 2nd edition" source code to something usable, however, we have been having several problems. Has anyone managed to be able to load a .X file with animations using the ID3DXFileData interface or have a similar method NOT USING the DX 9.0c animation class? Thanks [Edited by - steelblob on December 12, 2006 7:26:47 PM]
Advertisement
If you do a search of the forums here, you will find an inumerable number of .X animation questions. You might find some useful information there.

Advanced Animation with DirectX (by the same author) seems to be the most useful reference on the topic.

However, if you would rather move on to something else, I would recommend checking out some of these:

- Collada
- Cal3D
- Animadead
- MD5
- Milkshape (MS3D)
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Yeah... I searched a ton of topics, found very little helpful information.

That article uses the method that I mentioned in my last sentence and I really can't use it in my engine.

Anyone else?
You first say you want to create X files, then you say you want to load X files.
Which is it?

Using ID3DXFileData I would like to load a .X model's animation without having to use ID3DXAnimationController.

Simple as that. I can already load models using D3DXLoadMeshFromXof. I would like to load the frames and bones for an animation for the existing code I have in DX 9.0 and use it in DX 9.0c without having to modify the source code for my mesh loader and engine.
You probably have to go back through the older DX SDKs and look for the
mesh view (mview.exe) source code. And covert it to use the DX9 API.
Uh... I've been doing that with my source code that has been working before 9.0c and it isn't working and its driving me nuts. Thats why I am asking here.
There's an article about handling x files without using directx.

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/xfilepc/
None the less, this should work in DX 9.0, I really don't want to have to deviate from using DX entirely on my engine or modifying it to work with this system alone.

Anyone else work with ID3DXFileData and have had animation working?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement