Sign in to follow this  
HeWhoSurvives

New Games look So Sweet!

I have just finished watching clips from ps3, halo 3, and Liar. They are awe inspiring in their similarity to real video. What features do these new games have that make their graphics so superior?

agreed. a mediocre engine can look amazing with good artists, and a great engine can look like poop with programmer art :)

It kinda sucks, but it's true. That's why development teams can grow into the hundreds.

And don't forget that the new systems are designed to pump out more polygons and shaders than ever before. Brute force definitely helps.

Like almost everyone has said. Very many/great artist. These are pro guys. They get paid just to sit there and make great art. :). Oh yeah...they also have the MONEY! The one thing that can almost rule us all. Oh yeah...one thing people have left out. EXPIERENCE!

Chad.

Quote:
Original post by HeWhoSurvives
I have just finished watching clips from ps3, halo 3, and Liar. They are awe inspiring in their similarity to real video. What features do these new games have that make their graphics so superior?

The Halo3 and Liar trailers are both pre-rendered... That's why they look so good!

The real games don't look the same at all.

True Captain P, that is why it is hard to make humans believably real in a game,
but objects, and aliens are easy.
That is the beauty of many of the new games, is they are fantasy games with fantasy creatures.
The reality you make of aliens, dragons, and buildings is dictated by the art direction in the game.

This being in refrence to the Uncanny Valley, for those who were wondering.

Hey,

As good as the new graphics are, all the new shiny effects all they are really doing is costing money making the company spend more on the rest of the game, raising costs and then making the industry harder for freeware game designers such as most members here on GDnet. One day a game is going to cost a billion dollars and the industry is going to topple :'(

Quote:
Original post by PhilMorton
The Halo3 and Liar trailers are both pre-rendered... That's why they look so good!
Haven't watched the Liar trailer, but I know for a fact that the Halo 3 trailer shown at E3 2006 is not pre-rendered.

Never heard of that term, KulSeran. Thanks for the link. :)

I guess that backs up the idea that games with a more 'iconic' and/or abstract visual style are easier to accept. One thing's for sure: they generally cost a lot less money. :)

On the billion dollar game comment:

I don't thinks so. I think there is a definite "asymptote" or cut-off if you will as to how far companies will go in terms of development teams in each genre. Also, theres a practical limit to how many people you can have working on the content section of a game while it still being somewhat coherant (sp?).

There are always alternatives, anyway:

Have you heard of the game called spore? A lot of the in game animations are made by algorithms, as well as things like buildings or something are basically designed by the players. It's basically trying to solve the 100 artist team problem. I'm not sure when the game is suposed to come out if it has come out, but heres the link to a gamespy article all about prototyping: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/spore/698263p1.html .

That's one idea... although I'm sure it won't fix all of the problems. The other one is of course that there are many other game markets such as cell phone minigames as well as handheld games that don't require 100 man teams to develop anymore. This is the kind of things I think small developers should aim for to start out. Then publishers will give them more support when they prove their worth. This is just my perception of the industry, and looking at what small teams have made so far. Don't take me as one who knows anything about anything though...

Finally, you should know that its not the fault of the industry that you can't make "huge" games like Halo. The industry is not what's making your game "crappy". It's not like if there weren't 200 man teams out there suddenly your games would sprout tons of art content. You still couldn't make uber-good looking games like Halo 3. Its just that the overall standard would be lower, and it might be easier to get on the market.

But as Gandalf or someone said... you just gotta use the time you got as best you can... or something. So don't complain and develop what you can, save the dreams for later.
I get this odd feeling I'm talking directly out of my ass though.

Shaders, shaders are very useful and make some very cool effects. Probably one of the greatest eye-candys in new games. They make stuff look very realistic when combined with good art.