New Games look So Sweet!

Started by
12 comments, last by DevLiquidKnight 17 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by PhilMorton
The Halo3 and Liar trailers are both pre-rendered... That's why they look so good!
Haven't watched the Liar trailer, but I know for a fact that the Halo 3 trailer shown at E3 2006 is not pre-rendered.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
Never heard of that term, KulSeran. Thanks for the link. :)

I guess that backs up the idea that games with a more 'iconic' and/or abstract visual style are easier to accept. One thing's for sure: they generally cost a lot less money. :)
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
On the billion dollar game comment:

I don't thinks so. I think there is a definite "asymptote" or cut-off if you will as to how far companies will go in terms of development teams in each genre. Also, theres a practical limit to how many people you can have working on the content section of a game while it still being somewhat coherant (sp?).

There are always alternatives, anyway:

Have you heard of the game called spore? A lot of the in game animations are made by algorithms, as well as things like buildings or something are basically designed by the players. It's basically trying to solve the 100 artist team problem. I'm not sure when the game is suposed to come out if it has come out, but heres the link to a gamespy article all about prototyping: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/spore/698263p1.html .

That's one idea... although I'm sure it won't fix all of the problems. The other one is of course that there are many other game markets such as cell phone minigames as well as handheld games that don't require 100 man teams to develop anymore. This is the kind of things I think small developers should aim for to start out. Then publishers will give them more support when they prove their worth. This is just my perception of the industry, and looking at what small teams have made so far. Don't take me as one who knows anything about anything though...

Finally, you should know that its not the fault of the industry that you can't make "huge" games like Halo. The industry is not what's making your game "crappy". It's not like if there weren't 200 man teams out there suddenly your games would sprout tons of art content. You still couldn't make uber-good looking games like Halo 3. Its just that the overall standard would be lower, and it might be easier to get on the market.

But as Gandalf or someone said... you just gotta use the time you got as best you can... or something. So don't complain and develop what you can, save the dreams for later.
I get this odd feeling I'm talking directly out of my ass though.
~ SilencedViolence
Shaders, shaders are very useful and make some very cool effects. Probably one of the greatest eye-candys in new games. They make stuff look very realistic when combined with good art.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement