Opinions on Cutscenes in Resident Evil 4

Started by
13 comments, last by Iron Chef Carnage 17 years, 4 months ago
Wanted to get some opinions on the cutscene style in Resident Evil 4 (interactive, hitting a certain button when prompted to progress with game). Did you like that sort of feature or did you not? Details on your opinions are always welcome. Thanks. A
Advertisement
Personally, I didn't like them. I didn't like the way you were watching a cutscene, feeling rewarded having got past a bit of the game, and then suddenly it's like "Press A, B, X, B" now!

I thought they were overused as well, the earlier bits were OK (running away from the boulder [of instant death! Not a good gameplay mechanic]), and the bits during a fight were OK (when you had to cut the polyps off the giant when you jumped on his back for example).

The worst one was the lasers near the end, it was too hard and you just restarted where you died and had to do it again and again until you got it right. The Krauser fight was pretty lame too, it was just a long cut scene with occasional chances to be instantly killed. Considering how tactical most of the fighting was, I wasn't impressed.

The game was really good though, easily the best game of 2005.

I also disliked Shenmue 2 because of these QTEs (quick-time events).
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
Thanks for the input.

I rather liked them...keeps you on the edge of your seat. The fight toward the end was fairly challenging with Krauser. To me, it keeps you in the game and sometimes when the character does something cool in the cutscene (awesome fight moves, acrobats, etc) you feel that you did that by assisting the character with your own reflexes. :)

I am thinking of implementing that gameplay style into the cutscenes of the game my group is working on....but improve on what R.E. 4 did.

Keep the opinions coming. :)

Aaron
New Moons Media
Cutscenes are fine as long as you can skip them.

-----------------"Building a game is the fine art of crafting an elegant, sophisticated machine and then carefully calculating exactly how to throw explosive, tar-covered wrenches into the machine to botch-up the works."http://www.ishpeck.net/

Yet what if you couldn't, like R.E. 4? I consider them like extended play, sorta. :) Not a break from the gameplay/action, just a different form.

I didn't like them. Actually, I didn't play them...my brother loaned the game to me and told me I had to play it, but I got pissed and quit because I couldn't strafe.

I told him to show me how he plays, and from that I decided not to play the game.

Anyway, the SPRINT! and DODGE! stuff was lame. Isn't that the sort of stuff people hated in the dreaded "multimedia" days of gaming? Reminds me of Dragon's Lair, if that's the name of the arcade game I'm thinking of.
all around the world today, a kilo is a measure;a kilo is 1000 grams, easy to remember
Indigo prophecy had something like your describing, but those were the main events of the game. The sequences were also ridiculously intense and fun but you did really want to see the cinematic, so they also included an option that once you beat it, you can go back and watch it minus the event at any time. Best way to do it I'd think. And seriously, go play Indigo prophecy, the cutscene events are a blast.
It's really funny for me to see the recurrence of an old gameplay mechanic from the grandfather of Resident Evil, Sweet Home, for the NES, also by Mikami.
_______________ Play my Game at neonswarm.com
I liked it, though i didn't liked some of the places they made it. The Krauser-Fight f.e. could have had more, and more complex triggering and pressing, to fit the complex fight. But I can understand the people that don't like it.

I can't wait for the next releases. Especially for the Wii :) Quite some interesting possibilities for such cut-scene "triggering" with the wiimote.
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

I liked them they kept me working and made the game simpler that just what I liked but they should make hard levels in these games But thats just me i feel like im not challeged enough. I know some people can't adjust to the gameplay but to me its simple and i have fun with the puzzles.

The first re was great but that might because I was young and new to the series
Bring more Pain

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement