• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juliefionaroberts

John Carmack

This topic is 6445 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Honestly, I''d like to know how good he is ? and how long it take to get at this level ? I am looking forward at serious reply .. PS: I have a lot of respect for him, and what he do .. it''s just I am curious and wondering how good we need to be to create great 3d engine ...

Advertisement
Personally, I think that JC is the best graphics programmer in the industry. He is always at the frontier of whats possible. He released his first game, which was an RPG, while still in high school! To get anywhere near his level of genious, you''ll have to work bloody hard, and that is what he has done. To make a really good 3D engine, you need to be really good, and I mean good. There are but a few people in the industry that can.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hey, im 13... and still in school... and im learning C++... its pretty hard whilst trying to learn other stuff that is different but means the same thing...
I Really Want to learn C++ and am finding it difficult since i dont have 24/7 to learn it!
but i guess ill have to try my best...
(* and try to beat JC >:D *)

Well...

It depends really, you could be of average intelligence and work your bollocks off for nigh on 10 years to get to his level of experience/expertise.

Or, you could be a certified genius and pick up good engine programming in a few months.

I know which one he is, and I know which one I am (and they are not the same)

-Mezz

I don''t really think it''s that simple
I mean you can develop your intelligence. If you live in a dark cellar and start to learn maths you''ll probably be quite "stupid".

It''s pretty much about how you think, how long it''ll take for you to form a clear picture of something you try to learn. You know those "AHH, Now i get it all" moments

First it feels too damn hard and suddenly you get the whole thing.. dunno, just my 2 cents.

''''2+2=5 for extremely large values of 2.''''

Guest Anonymous Poster
what was the name of that RPG game? all games that i know of that carmack done is keen, wolf, doom and kwejk

I forget what the name was now, it''s in a interview that PCG had with him a while ago now ( I think ), and I''ve got them all stashed in a big box in the attic. So no, I don''t sorry.

It doesn''t take that long to learn C++. I''m 15 and in high school. I learned the main functions of C++ in 30 minutes(no BS)
and the rest(classes,pointers,etc...) in a weekend. It''s not that hard. Make sure you have a good book though. And as far as 3D Engines you don''t have to be some super genius like JC. Just put your mind to it. I learned half of OpenGL in two weeks. I just need to read the shadow tuturial and I''ll be set. Anyone can do it. Trust me.

This topic is 6445 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.