John Carmack

Started by
106 comments, last by juliefionaroberts 23 years ago
Woohoo! I got the 100th post!

(Sorry,couldn''t help myself )
Advertisement
MancubuS/
If you don''t know why you got flamed let me refresh your memory-

This is a quote from your first post - "I''m sure it''s VERY simple to make an awesome 3d engine! I''m serious! I''m 15 and I''ve already made the Wolf3d, the DooM1/2 the Quake1/2 and the Quake3 engine."
It''s not software rendering.

Lighmap suppport was almost ready before I closed the project.

There''s NO bumpmapping in Q3.

You don''t need much maths, only some trigonometry and matrix maths.

You can be sure that you''ll be one of the first who will know about the engine I''m currently working on.

________________HASTE - still recruiting
I didn''t say it is a software renderer, i said it looked like one. Ie. it''s quite ugly, but that''s probably because there is no texture-mapping or eye-candy. Not important.

However, i am amazed that you claim to have copied the Q3 engine, and yet don''t know that (yes!) it supports bump-mapping. Now i am wondering about the other features..

But i agree that programming an engine doesn''t require much maths. Unless you start working on physics, but that''s a different topic.

Y.
what do you mean by "doesn''t need much maths"?? Are you mad, take a look at "3D game engine design", you say that all the maths in there is EASY???? And the physics that you need is mechanics, which is a subset of maths itself. You cannot make a 3D game engine without mechanics. I mean, how are you going to model particles otherwise?
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
Don''t you think this goes quite off topic ? This shouldn''t be a flame war but a reasonable discussion about JC...

Please stop.

Kind regards,
Metron
----------------------------------------http://www.sidema.be----------------------------------------
Q3 doesn''t support REAL dot3 bump mapping. Maybe only some emboss technique using shaders, but not a real one. And you DON''T need complex maths for q3 engine...
________________HASTE - still recruiting
Yes, this thread has gone a bit off topic.

Kevin

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement