[java] Game Tools

Started by
9 comments, last by eSam 17 years, 4 months ago
Hi there, I'm considering several options for game tools, what would be the ideal of these options: 1 - Win32 GDI: Great, fast but not portable. Need to write my own controls and dockable windows. 2 - MFC: Does not come with VS Express, not protable. 3 - WinForms: requires managed code, C++ or whatever must be managed with specialextensions to the language. Makes it ugly? 4 - Java Swings: Very portable, no cost, but can only use OpenGL. 5 - Qt: Portable, but expensive. 6 - GTK: Portable, free, but there is a problem in the gui. Try to resize a control or a window and you will experience a noticeable lagging, controls uopdate to resize very with latency, which makes it ugly. This problem has been present in Java Swings, but not after the SE 6 release, which looks even faster than Qt. Some advices?
Advertisement
How about C#? I do (or in the process of doing) all of my game tools with it.
But what does it have to offer over other options. The language itself is java-like, so it's not C++. Why should it be the ideal choice? WinForms? More powerful than MFC? I'm novice to the .NET, sorry for the questions.
Quote:Original post by eSam
4 - Java Swings: Very portable, no cost, but can only use OpenGL.

If portability is the goal, I fail to see the problem with OGL.

Quote:Original post by eSam
The language itself is java-like, so it's not C++.

No, no it is not. Otherwise it would be called, you know, C++.

C# is, however, an easy to use language that will let you get tools done quickly without all the C++ busy work.
Just to encourage me, because I'm lazy to start a new language, any commercial game developers use C# for tools? References?

Thnaks alot.
Quote:1 - Win32 GDI: Great, fast but not portable. Need to write my own controls and dockable windows.
Annoying fifteen years ago, when it was the only game in town. Nowadays, using it would be purely masochistic.
Quote:2 - MFC: Does not come with VS Express, not protable.
Looked great ten years ago, when it was the only game in town other than Win32API. Nowadays, it's pretty much only used by people who used it back in the day.
Quote:3 - WinForms: requires managed code, C++ or whatever must be managed with specialextensions to the language. Makes it ugly?
I think managed C++ looks nice, but then I've barely used it. Winforms with C# is great.
Quote:4 - Java Swings: Very portable, no cost, but can only use OpenGL.
Yep, it's a fine choice.
Quote:5 - Qt: Portable, but expensive.
The GPL version of Qt is free, and for in-house tools you shouldn't need anything else.
Quote:6 - GTK: Portable, free, but there is a problem in the gui. Try to resize a control or a window and you will experience a noticeable lagging, controls uopdate to resize very with latency, which makes it ugly. This problem has been present in Java Swings, but not after the SE 6 release, which looks even faster than Qt.
I don't have experience with this one.
What's wrong with managed C++? And how can I use OpenGL with WinForms/.NET?
And the Qt open source version does not work witn VS 2005 I guess, only MinGW.
Quote:What's wrong with managed C++?
Huh? Who said there was anything wrong with it?
Quote:And how can I use OpenGL with WinForms/.NET?
Google for CsGL.
Quote:And the Qt open source version does not work witn VS 2005 I guess, only MinGW.
There's a patch available. (clicky)
wxWidgets all the way. You lose a little flexibility in areas, but if you really need a specialized widget you can usually find it on wxCode. I find its license much more preferable to the commercial Qt.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement