Cost of ESRB

Started by
15 comments, last by CaseyHardman 12 years ago
Does anyone know how much it costs to obtain an ESRB rating?
Advertisement
The business forum probably knows, so that's where this is headed.
http://www.esrb.org/

They only rate titles from "organizations that develop and/or publish computer and/or video games." If you qualify (according to their standards, not yours), sign up and you will be able to access that information.

You could, alternatively, contact them and ask.
Doc wrote:
> Does anyone know how much it costs to obtain an ESRB rating?

Yes, of course!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

That kind of question belongs in the bucket:

If you are concerned about how much it costs, you aren't in the market.

The organizations (not individuals) who pay for the ratings are already paying tens of thousands of dollars in equipment and facilities, and hundreds of thousands -- or even millions -- on staffing. Not to mention a small fortune for publishing, marketing, distribution, and other costs.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was maybe $3000. Plus you'd need to record a video of your game. Plus you'd need to fill out a particularly annoying form where you check boxes to indicate whether your videogame features the manufacturing of guns.

It's completely not worth it unless you're trying to get a boxed version of your game into Wal-Mart, which isn't going to happen if the ESRB is the expensive step.
I would expect the cost to be in the range of 1 to 10 thousand. I was wondering if anyone here could give a more accurate estimate. If not - please don't bother to reply.
Doc wrote:

>I would expect the cost to be in the range of 1 to 10 thousand. I was wondering if anyone here could give a more accurate estimate.

Yes. Someone here could.

>If not - please don't bother to reply.

Don't bother asking bad questions! You have not yet asked how much ESRB ratings cost. You only asked first, "Does anyone know how much it costs." You got an answer - yes. The ESRB knows how much it costs, and you could simply ask them. Now you've only asked, "I was wondering if anyone here could give a more accurate estimate." The answer to that is also yes.

Besides, sometimes the best answer is gotten by sharing more information with those of whom you're asking a question. Why do you want to know how much an ESRB rating costs? Are you writing a thesis on the game industry for college or something? Or do you have a game and you're planning to publish it yourself? And why can't you simply contact the ESRB and ask this yourself, why do you need to get this information from game developers instead?

Also, the answer to your question (when you finally get around to asking it) varies depending on the submitter. Is the submitter going to request rush handling? Is the submitter going to provide videotape of complete gameplay? (Or will the submitter want the ESRB to make the videotape?)

Moderator - please feel free to lock this topic lest it descend to petty insults, etc.
Doc appeals to higher powers:
>Moderator - please feel free to lock this topic lest it descend to petty insults, etc.

:D That's almost as good as your previous line, "If not - please don't bother to reply." Your attempts to stifle us are most revealing of your character.

Look, doc. We've given you the straight poop, if you'd just get over yourself and read what we've said. If you don't wanna tell us why you need to know what the ESRB process costs, and you don't wanna ask the ESRB themselves, then fine. But it's not nice to try to curtail our freedom to express ourselves.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement