Software protection newbie question

Started by
18 comments, last by CRAZY COCONUT COW 17 years, 3 months ago
Ok, I made a game with embedded visual basic 3 for HP IPAQ PDA. I have a couple of questions on software protection concepts: 1. Generally I should create a file with some encryted numbers and put it with a folder with a obscure name and hide it somewhere in the registry of the PDA, correct? I should not hide the file in a folder that have my program name because hackers can easily find that file and copy the contents of the file, correct? 2. For (1), generally which is the best folder to put in the encryted numbers? I don't want to mess up the registry. 3. I feel really uneasy messing with the registry of my PDA; I have never done it before. I thought about putting 5 encryted password in 5 separate text file and hide them somewhere in 5 windows or programs folders. Good idea? 4. Do I need to scramble the evb3 code? 5. Is this all there is to software protection? 6. Any good links? Thanks
MoooooooooooMoooooooooooooooooooMoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by CRAZY COCONUT COW
Generally I should create a file with some encryted numbers

Is this all reference to a serial number? Or what do you mean by encrypted numbers?

Encrypted numbers.

My game looks up for the PDA's serial number in hpAssetViewer.txt. I also want to implement another layer of protection with encrypted numbers.
Quote:Encrypted numbers.
My game looks up for the PDA's serial number in hpAssetViewer.txt

Why? Maybe I am missing something, but this doesn't make any sense to me. The serial number of the PDA will vary depending on the PDA...So I just don't see how this is going to protect your game in the least.
See Security through obscurity. Simply put, this is the most insecure and rubish approach at security there is (short of a "please don't copy this" message).
Op, You:
Have no idea what you are talking about.
Are wasting your time.
Don't have anything worth stealing anyway.

LINK. Read the last half a dozen posts.
Aight I'm glad I didn't miss something. At the OP.

If you are really worried, just do a serial check: Ie take the user's name. Hash it a couple of different ways (or w/e tickles your fancy) then compare the generated number to what the user inputed. Isn't perfect, but it'll stop the casual user from being a dick. Besides, most people don't reverse PDA softs...
Urgh.

I hate it when someone asks "how do I do X" and all the replies say why you shouldn't do X and instead do Y.

the OP doesn't ask IF he should use copy protection... so saying he shouldn't is sidetracking the thread.

So my reply:
Yes, you probably shouldn't bother because PDA software is cheaper (and the market fragmented by brands) so most crackers won't even touch it.
You might, however, want a simple copy protection to deter trivial copies, the drag-and-drop kind. So don't get overly elaborate, just make it non-trivial. If a good cracker takes a jab at it, he'll probably get it anyway despite of your efforts.

And no, I don't know how to do it. I just stopped by to whine ;)
Working on a fully self-funded project
Damn man, I don't even know wtf the OP is talking about "Encrypted Numbers". Hell, PI is encrypted space age technology for all we know :P Then people just suggested not to use this method (reasons given) and use a different way. =) Just trying to help!
Guys, how about a simple software protection solution?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement