Software protection newbie question

Started by
18 comments, last by CRAZY COCONUT COW 17 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by CRAZY COCONUT COW
3. I feel really uneasy messing with the registry of my PDA; I have never done it before. I thought about putting 5 encryted password in 5 separate text file and hide them somewhere in 5 windows or programs folders. Good idea?

Not really. Isn't the whole point of the registry to give applications a central place to write too that is easily backed up etc.?

I know the web is littered with "Editing the registry may damage your system" warnings but it isn't really that dangerous. Just look up the APIs to use.

It doesn't really matter whether you hide the files somewhere or use registry keys, a cracker would see the calls to either the registry or file and find them easily.

Advertisement
"It doesn't really matter whether you hide the files somewhere or use registry keys, a cracker would see the calls to either the registry or file and find them easily."

What?! What should I do then? Don't tell me there is no need to protect my crappy game, I made it for my company.

MoooooooooooMoooooooooooooooooooMoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
"It doesn't really matter whether you hide the files somewhere or use registry keys, a cracker would see the calls to either the registry or file and find them easily."

What?! What should I do then? Don't tell me there is no need to protect my crappy game, I made it for my company.

You can certainly attempt to protect it (the choice is entirely yours), you just have remember more than likely it can be cracked. Computers are pretty open, anything you can do someone can reverse engineer, decompile, or dump from memory. It's impossible to protect your program when the user can get the same access to the system. Encryption fails because you, in addition to providing the algorithm, must also provide a key in some form or no one is going to be able to use your program. All I am saying is it's pointless to be overly elaborate. Your protection scheme will depend on what you want to try and prevent. Chances are unless your games get really people likely aren't going to bother to hacking it, so I'd just go with serial number.

The only link I have on the subject is a Gamasutra article on how Insomniac games tried to protect Spyro: Year of the Dragon.

Keeping the Pirates at Bay:
Implementing Crack Protection for Spyro: Year of the Dragon

I think the key to this going to be making acquiring a legit version more attractive than pirating it.

Scheiner's Law, "Anyone can come up with a security system so clever that he himself can't see any means of bypassing it".

[Edited by - prh99 on December 15, 2006 4:36:43 AM]
Patrick
Why bother, if you don't have something better to do go visit some galery, or public library. With your current knowledge you'd just annoy users.

Raghar

Whatever you do, _don't_ put any trash into system directories. That would make your progam pollute the system. A good way of protection would be to require registration of your program. You display the serial number and ask the user to enter it on a web form, then enter the resulting code into the application. The code you return should be an encrypted version of the original serial number. Store this code into the registry or into a text file _in_the_same_ directory as your program. The program should check for this code, decrypt it with a key burnt into the program, and check if it matches the serial number. If it doesn't, then it should prompt for registration. Registration can be fee driven or free, depending on the game. Retail boxes can use a device serial number and game serial number combination to allow one activation per box. Pay to activate programs use only the device serial number and ask for money on each activation. (microsoft uses the first for retail boxes and the 2nd one for corprate licenses)
A question:If the cracker can find the encryted numbers pretty easily, why even bother to encryt it, the cracker can just copy it in the registry and paste it on the registry of another PDA
Quote:What?! What should I do then? Don't tell me there is no need to protect my crappy game, I made it for my company.

What you're proposing won't work for a number of reasons:
- It's trivial to find out which files a process has opened
- To use the encrypted data you'll have to decrypt it into memory. It can then be read by any would be hacker
- The approach in general is unsound: you're placing the encrypted data, the decryption key and the decryption algorithm on the user's machine. What's to stop a hacker from finding all those then using them himself?

Sigma gave you pretty much the only reasonable way of doing it.
No matter which protection you put in place it will be cracked, and rather easily. Dont spend too much time brooding on an uncrackable, or hard to crack, way, since it'll prolly end up costing you more in R&D costs than it saves you.
Generate a serial from the username and machine id, store this somewhere you can easily get it. No use trying to hide it, since if someone wants to find it they will in a matter of minutes, and well.. what would be the point?
A question:If the cracker can find the encryted numbers pretty easily, why even bother to encryt it, the cracker can just copy it in the registry and paste it on the registry of another PDA

The goal of copy protection is not to beat crackers, its to prevent casual users from copying your software or possibly to delay the crackers as much as possible.

however for a independant PDA game you really don't need to go overboard as most crackers focus on big PC titles. (Thus a simple system that keeps casual users from copying is enough), and since your title isn't highly anticipated by the general public there is no need to try to delay the crackers either.

For a big AAA title the first couple of weeks are critical as many gamers want to play asap and are thus more likely to buy it if the cracked version isn't released quickly, for a smaller title it really doesn't matter, people will either buy it or wait until its cracked (or simply ignore the title entierly).

Multiplayer games are ofcourse different since you'll either manage the serverlist or the servers. (which allows you to validate the serials and prevent more than one user from using the same key at the same time)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Thanks guys.

Let CCC give you guys a big kiss....muuuuuaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement