new to game programming...

Started by
3 comments, last by Jettoz 17 years, 4 months ago
okay so i am a college student that is getting a double major in computer science and mathematics...now i want to learn to program games (so that i am ahead of the game when i get into the classes for it). I was waiting to get the "Beginning C ++ Through Game Programming, Second Edition; that comes out at the end of decemeber. i also want to learn directx and opengl but that will come with time....now for my problem i want to buy a book that will introduce me to game programming but i am afraid to invest money into something i won't learn anything from or uses engines that isn't popular that isn't worth learning or using. I was looking at a book called 3D Game Programming All in One, 2nd edition; or programming role playing games with directx, 2nd edition....I would like to know if i am making the right choices in books and if i am not can someone enlighten me into what is good and up todate...i am okay at python 2.5 and i know the concepts of programming but need to learn the languages such as C/C++, directx, opengl, etc., etc.
Advertisement
Protip: use paragraphs. It makes your message easier to read.

Since you're familiar with python, try Pygame and start making games now.

Secondly, since you're in college take a semester of C++. Ask around who a good C++ teacher on your campus first though. There are a lot of bad C++ teachers out there. C++ class + bad teacher = major headache.

After your first semester you should know enough to make simple games with C++. Start making games with C++/SDL. Since Pygame is just SDL for Python it won't be that big of jump from Python to C++ game programming. While you starting to use C++/SDL, concurrently take a second semester of C++ so you learn all the advanced stuff to make complex games. From there you can make the jump into OpenGL, which works well with SDL.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

I would not invest your money in a book related to game development until you have successfully wrapped your head around most of the C++ syntax. The book would not be very useful to you if you did that. You need to study C++ in great detail, if you’re up for it that is. Then get a slight grasp on Win32 programming, after you have done that consider revisiting the idea of buying such a book.

Of course you could always also consider the C# route. It might be slightly easier then C++ seeing as you won't be at such a low level. This should not be considered a stepping stone but it would help you grasp C++ concepts somewhat more easy. Especially since you say you are only familiar with python.
I agree with DevLiquidKnight.

If you are serious about what you are doing, then I don't think the books that combine C++ for beginners and game-programming are anything to have.
You will be much better off if you learn C++ and good OOP before you start to look into game-specific/oriented development.
If you know C++ well enough, you will be able to create games anyway without any help from game-related books.
However, when you are at that point, it will be much more rewarding to get a -serious- book on game development that assumes that you have a good knowledge of C++.

So, I don't know if you already have a good C++ book, or if there's any available for free on the net, or if someone can suggest such for you to buy.

If you'd still need any help for creating Tetris and whatnot, that kind of information is easily available on the net (and here), in case you are wondering how to proceed.
I agree with the above post but one thing, you wont know how to make games fully just by knowing C++ you need to learn an API such as Direct X or OpenGL which will take some time.
____________________VB/C++/C# Programmer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement