John Carmack

Started by
7 comments, last by juliefionaroberts 23 years, 1 month ago
Honestly, I''d like to know how good he is ? and how long it take to get at this level ? I am looking forward at serious reply .. PS: I have a lot of respect for him, and what he do .. it''s just I am curious and wondering how good we need to be to create great 3d engine ...
Advertisement
He (and his crew @ ID) are an exceptional group of programmers (check out the lines of ASM in the original Quake engine)

It would take months/years of programming/stuying to create the next "ultimate" 3D engine from scratch.

Alot more than I already know (since I know nothing of 3D technology)

Now if you really want to start a flame war, bring up the name "Derek Smart" ...

--LordKaT

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
funny u should say derek smart
i was just reading an article about him

HE RULEZZZ!!!!!!!

decades of studying are required to get to carmacks level
Here''s a quote from Michael Abrash (a programmer who worked at ID software on Quake with John Carmack) :

"The three secrets to success are:
1) Hard work,
2) Hard work, and
3) Hard work."

Well... You get the point
I think he works some 4000 hours each year. That says it all!!
years. definetly years.

He created the FPS genre (First Person Shooter) (I suppose he had help, but the coding was largely his responsiblity).

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- The disgruntled & disillusioned
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Ummm... He didn''t "create" the FPS genre, he did revolutionize it however, but he did not create it.

--The Shining Knight
NovaStorm Games
I certainly agree that it takes many years of long hours to get there, but there is also a matter of some innate ability. I suspect that he not only works long hours, but gets more out of those long hours in this topic than I would. He would be a good programmer no matter the topic he applied himself to, but he may well only be as exceptional as he is in this specific topic. So there may be a few thousand people his equal in this country from a general programming perspective, but with very few that have the specific innate abilities to be his equal in this specific topic.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
Id software DID pioneer the FPS genre... with an emphasis on the ''S''. Other first person games existed before wolf3d, but these weren''t in the same category of running and gunning. eg. not Shooters. These were simulations and rpgs. Now, I''m not considering the likes of Operation Wolf in the FPS genre. If you include these, then your argument is fully valid.

Feel free to email me.
[email=JValentine_13@hotmail.com]contact[/email]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement