Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Myopic Rhino

Do you have a question about DirectX?

evaclear    166
No question. I just wanted to tell you to have some fun

Joseph Fernald
Software Engineer
Red Storm Entertainment.
------------------------
The opinions expressed are that of the person posting
and not that of Red Storm Entertainment.

nosfy    194
There are probably a few parts in ASM for optimization.

But most of it is probably C++. I don''t see anybody doing COM programming in ASM!!

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
(I don''t have dx8 so this question may not be relevant anymore)

Are they going to support direct z-buffer reading (somehow faster without lock) as it could speed up dynamic hidden object/surface removal and lensflare & light rendering, etc quite a lot.

JonnyQuest    331
Will they be supporting the VSA100s T-Buffer in DX9? I know it''s unlikely, as 3Dfx died, but it''d still be cool. I assume the DX9 testers here can tell me that too, though...

- JQ
Infiltration: Losing Ground
"You just don''t understand. Guys have to be immature and stupid. It''s some biological thing. It helps us hunt and gather and stuff." -Nazrix

Xzibit    122
Where can i find info on direct X? how do i even use it? How does it act with input and such? How is it set up? Whats it like? how do you use it? where should i start? Is it easy once u know it or is it hard? how many differnt types of things can you do with it? is there something besides C++ i need to use it? or do i just need C++ is it fun? whats it like when your done? dose it run fast? how good of graphics does it support?

---------------------------
X to da Z!

Jonus    170
Could you ask him if in DX9, DirectDraw supports ALPHABLENDING and other features of D3D?

Another question could be if there is a chance that all samples are reprogrammed so that they ONLY use the current DX Version.

Edited by - Jonus on March 19, 2001 12:44:04 PM

mhkrause    122
quote:

Well someone else might know this but is DirectX writtern in ASM or CPP?

The bulk of the D3D codebase is C++. The amount of assembly is very small, a few very performance critical portions.

There is some 3rd party code, such as the processor-specific graphics pipelines from Intel and AMD. These probably have more assembly.

MuteAngel    122
I''d like to know when DirectDraw will be back in DX too.

Even though using 3D for 2D is ok, not everybody has a 3D card and so not everybody can play your game. People who buy budget/shareware games usually do it for a good reason : they can''t afford a 1.5 Ghz and a GeForce 3 to play.

So yes, I''d really like to get DirectDraw back with some other capabilities (alpha blending like Jonus said, and why not a DWORD blit).

Also, are they going to support Borland C++ compiler? I know it''s doubtful but I thought I''d ask anyway.