Do you have a question about DirectX?

Started by
11 comments, last by Myopic Rhino 23 years, 1 month ago
Next Wednesday, I''ll be meeting with the head of the DirectX team at the GDC. If anyone has a question they''d like me to ask him, post it here. Dave
Advertisement
No question. I just wanted to tell you to have some fun

Joseph Fernald
Software Engineer
Red Storm Entertainment.
------------------------
The opinions expressed are that of the person posting
and not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Yeah I guess you could ask them when they''re gonna create
DirectOS (or DOS for short)..

Wazoo
Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish
Well someone else might know this but is DirectX writtern in ASM or CPP?

:: Jamie Interactive ::
There are probably a few parts in ASM for optimization.

But most of it is probably C++. I don''t see anybody doing COM programming in ASM!!
(I don''t have dx8 so this question may not be relevant anymore)

Are they going to support direct z-buffer reading (somehow faster without lock) as it could speed up dynamic hidden object/surface removal and lensflare & light rendering, etc quite a lot.
Will they be supporting the VSA100s T-Buffer in DX9? I know it''s unlikely, as 3Dfx died, but it''d still be cool. I assume the DX9 testers here can tell me that too, though...

- JQ
Infiltration: Losing Ground
"You just don''t understand. Guys have to be immature and stupid. It''s some biological thing. It helps us hunt and gather and stuff." -Nazrix
~phil
Where can i find info on direct X? how do i even use it? How does it act with input and such? How is it set up? Whats it like? how do you use it? where should i start? Is it easy once u know it or is it hard? how many differnt types of things can you do with it? is there something besides C++ i need to use it? or do i just need C++ is it fun? whats it like when your done? dose it run fast? how good of graphics does it support?

---------------------------
X to da Z!
--------------------------- X to da Z!
Could you ask him if in DX9, DirectDraw supports ALPHABLENDING and other features of D3D?

Another question could be if there is a chance that all samples are reprogrammed so that they ONLY use the current DX Version.

Edited by - Jonus on March 19, 2001 12:44:04 PM
quote:
Well someone else might know this but is DirectX writtern in ASM or CPP?

The bulk of the D3D codebase is C++. The amount of assembly is very small, a few very performance critical portions.

There is some 3rd party code, such as the processor-specific graphics pipelines from Intel and AMD. These probably have more assembly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement