3d models in still photos background?

Started by
2 comments, last by Fukushuusha 17 years, 4 months ago
I just have this questions which I really wanted to ask.I and some friends are making a game in which the player is walking between still photos all drawed by hand. In order to look realistic though it will need lots of work on the player sprite and on every other monster/npc sprite too.So we were wondering ...personally I have no idea how 3d games are made since I have never done any before.But suddenly the other guys suggested we could add a 3d model in the game for the player and 3d models for everyone else too. At first I though that impossible.I still am .. but wanted to ask people more experienced in this than me.So .. what would be needed to add 3d models in a 2D game?Complete rework I imagine .. but what exactly ?Just want to make sure of all the options I have in front of me.We are using SDL now.
Advertisement
Quote:what would be needed to add 3d models in a 2D game?

Adding pre-rendered models would be simple.

You could borrow the concept of 'Impostors' and perhaps adjust it to your needs. This involves taking an actual 3D model and rendering it in a 2D context. The purpose is to alleviate thousands of triangles from the rendering pipeline, but I imagine it could also work for what you need.
http://blog.protonovus.com/
You could probably write a rudimentary software renderer in the 2D engine; I've seen it before in SDL.

Do some trivial rejection, quick polygon fills and texturing; it could work very well.

You could also do it the lazy way and render it in OpenGL to a texture, then use those textures as actor sprites, or just rejig your engine entirely to be an SDL-OpenGL engine that renders the background normally and draws 3D models on top in lieu of sprites.
oo?Sounds interesting , yet gibberish to me.

Any link where I could read on it some and get a general understanding of it?I though that to have 3d in a game you should make or buy a 3d engine.Quite obvious that I have never taken up on any 3d-related project isn't it ? :p

[Edited by - Fukushousha on December 13, 2006 2:39:14 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement