Shadows HowTo?

Started by
3 comments, last by Lemonaid 17 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I'm tryting to get some shadows on my little 3d scene and don't know how to start. I have rendered a small box with some textures and some point lights. So far so good. Now I want to render some shadows on the floor where the box is located. As a newbie in directx I have seen lots of math explanations and example parts about shadowing - but no simple tutorial where shadowing is explained from scratch. I think there must be some ready to use directx functions which help me to generate my shadows. I don't want to render every shadow pixel by calculating hard math stuff. So - are there any directx functions which help me to get my shadows. And of course: a good explanation or tutorial about how to use these functions? Best regards and thanks for any help Pikebu
Advertisement
3d programming is all about hard maths, better get used to it.

search google for tutorials on shadow mapping / stencil shadows using directx.
You might be able to glean something from these tutorials and convert into use into your own code.

http://www.mdxinfo.com/resources.php?view=Intermediate%20samples

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
3d programming is all about hard maths, better get used to it.

search google for tutorials on shadow mapping / stencil shadows using directx.

Thanks for the messages. Ok - I'm fine to do some maths, but I'm sure there must be some shadows possible without creating them from zero. Does anyone know a tutorial (C# would be preferred) where the creation of smooth shadows is well explained? I think lots of people search for something like this.

Thanks for any suggestions

Pikebu
shadows are an advanced subject(except with raytracing) with many ways to render them. most use a variation of shadow mapping and a blur shader, or manipulation of a precalculated lightmap. if you expect robust smooth shadows then you better start getting savy in shaders and the stencil buffers plus get ready for a hit in fps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement