Atmospheric scattering

Started by
4 comments, last by parasolstars 17 years, 4 months ago
Does anyone know of or have a simple and working atmospheric scattering shader, preferably in HLSL? There are so many different implementations out there ranging from the very complex to the rediculously impenetrable. All I need is a something for a first person type game, with no need for outerspace etc..
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Matt Aufderheide
Does anyone know of or have a simple and working atmospheric scattering shader, preferably in HLSL? All I need is a something for a first person type game, with no need for outerspace etc..

Do you mean omni volume light? I have something like that,but it's not
a shader and quite complicated.
Not exactly, just basic atmospheric lighiting, for the sky dome and fogging.. there are many examples, but all seem too complicated or fragmented for me to grasp.
There are some gap between skybox environment and fully procedural
environment(sky ,volume clouds & light shafts,local colored height fog etc.),
but simular quality in statiс :))
After all-having perfect engine,performance and skill-you can fill
this gap later.Now-just skybox(es).Very simple & fast.Why not?

[Edited by - Krokhin on December 14, 2006 9:29:06 AM]
A skysphere with a photo as texture and simple vertex fog looks good enough for a simple game.
-----------------------------------"After you finish the first 90% of a project, you have to finish the other 90%." - Michael Abrashstickman.hu <=my game (please tell me your opinion about it)
I m interested in the many examples you mentioned.

If you are interested in the theory, I found "Real-time light-atmosphere interactions for outdoor scenes" to be informaltive.

Quote:Original post by Matt Aufderheide
Not exactly, just basic atmospheric lighiting, for the sky dome and fogging.. there are many examples, but all seem too complicated or fragmented for me to grasp.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement