copy classes? default parameters?

Started by
6 comments, last by Aardvajk 17 years, 4 months ago
Hi Two questions: 1. I have a simple int2 class to hold x and y and wanna be able to compere two of them to see if they are equal. Any built-in class stuff (which might be fatser) i can use intead of:

bool int2::same(int2 & compare){
if(x==compare.x && y==compare.y)
	return true;
else
	return false;
}

2. Can i leave a earlier (more to the left) param as default.

void myFunc(int one=100, int two=200);

//at call
myfunc(useDefault,45); //i wanna do something like this, possible?

3. any shortcut on this forum for [/source] and such? thanks Erik
Advertisement
1) There isn't a built-in equality for user classes but you can define an operator== function that lets you use the same syntax as for built in types:

class int2{public:    int2(int a=0,int b=0) : x(a),y(b) { }    bool operator==(const int2 &i) const { return(x==i.x && y==i.y); }    int x,y;};

Note the use of const both for the parameter and for the method itself. These allow you to use this in more flexible situations.

void f(){    int2 a(1,2),b(3,4);    if(a==b) blah;    if(a==int2(10,20)) blah;}

2) No. Only the rightmost parameters can be defaulted in C++. You can, however, create muliple overloads of a function that will do what you want, provided the paramters are of different types:

void f(int a=10,const std::string &s="default"){    std::cout << a << " " << s << std::endl;}void f(const std::string &s){    f(10,s);}void x(){    f(); // prints "10 default"    f(18); // prints "18 default"    f("hello"); prints "10 hello"    f(26,"arglebargle"); // prints "26 arglebargle"}

Not a perfect solution to your problem, but gets around a lot of situations.

[Edited by - EasilyConfused on December 13, 2006 10:59:29 AM]
1) You can overloading operators.

You can give your class "int2" an equality operator like so.

Google "c++ operator overloading" for more info.
bool operator==( const int2 &one, const int2 &two ){    return ( one.x == two.x) && (one.y == two.y);}

2) No, the default parameters cannot come before a non-default one.

3) Not as far as I'm aware.
Hi!

1. I would say comparing like that is fine. I would overload the '==' operator for this purpose, as it would probably result in more comprehensive code when used.

2. You can only use default values for the rightmost parameters, as there would be no way (in C++) to tell the compiler which values are omitted otherwise.

3. I don't find typing down [_source] too tiring, so I didn't search for shortcuts, so I can't help you with that.

Cheers
@EasilyConfused: you have a typo there, careful, it's 'operator==' you want not 'operator='
Quote:Original post by Morrandir
@EasilyConfused: you have a typo there, careful, it's 'operator==' you want not 'operator='

Oops. Thanks Morrandir. Edited. Goddamn substandard work keyboards [smile].
Quote:Original post by EasilyConfused

It should probably also return a bool, but thats just being pedantic [grin]
Quote:Original post by rip-off
Quote:Original post by EasilyConfused

It should probably also return a bool, but thats just being pedantic [grin]

Only if you define pedantic as turning nonsense code that will not compile into actual code that will compile [grin]. I guess I'm not going to convince you all that that one was a typo.

Edited. Thanks rip-off. Man, I'm on fire today. I think I need to sit quietly in the corner and rock for a while.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement