Sign in to follow this  
blitmaster

ati radeon 7000 cards directx 7.0

blitmaster    122
When rendering in DX7.0 on an ATI Radeon 7000, there is a slight to severe delay in updating the Rendering with the keyboard input. This only happens when the FPS goes down to 5-10 frames per second, and it only happens on the ATI RADEON 7000 card. For instance, I am drawing a full screen textured rectangle 15x per game cycle. THe FPS drops to around 7FPS, and the mouse/keyboard input is several seconds behind. Why does this happen?

jollyjeffers    1570
If you use a single loop for your application then the performance of all parts (e.g. rendering and input) will be tied together - if one is slow they'll all be slow.

It might well be worth seperating the main components into multiple threads..

hth
Jack

ET3D    810
Assuming you're using Windows events for the mouse input, try consuming all of them before moving to the next frame. Otherwise if you get more than one event per frame they'd accumulate.

blitmaster    122
The problem is not that it's slow. I made it intentionally slow. The problem is, there is an unsynchronized effect between INPUT and What you see.

The input occurs inside the Draw function. Right before it draws, I get the input, either keyboard or mouse. If I move left, even if the FPS is 7frames per second, I'd expect the image to move instantly. But it moves 2 seconds later.

This also happens in Blitz3D, which uses D3D and DX 7.0. I think this might be a driver issue, because this doesn't happen on TNT cards, or Intel.

But this doesn't happen on my other cards.

blitmaster    122
Problem solved.

There was a bug with RADEON driver that was buffering draws, causing draws to be behind input.

Locking and unlocking primary surface emptied the buffer, fixing this bug.