MDX in C# or XNA or UnmanagedDX in C++

Started by
6 comments, last by macmoy 17 years, 4 months ago
Im having a headache!! which of these will i choose to make 3d games?.. * Managed DirectX 9 in C# * XNA in C# * Unmanaged DirectX in C++ (is there any unmanaged directx "9" in C++?).. now,,can anyone tell me about these 3 ways.. please tell me which way will i choose.. thanks for your time...!!
Advertisement
Each way is a fine way to develop you can do it either way. You just need to decide on which things you feel better suite you. DirectX in C# from what I have heard is probably slightly easier then unamanged DirectX in C++. XNA is supposibly rather good for developing games more quickly then either of the 2 previous mentioned ways.

It depends on your area of expertise, and what you like most. Are you good with C++ or C#? Do you like the features of XNA?
If you don't know the answer to this question, then you would probably go farthest with the option that holds your hand the most. That throws C++ and anything unmanaged right out the window.

In short, use XNA. When you get comfortable with it, you can branch out into more difficult platforms.
XBox 360 gamertag: templewulf feel free to add me!
can i ask a question,, ive tried XNA..but theres an error "invalid method" this is because of the "SpriteBatch" now,,why is this happening?? is it the video card?
Quote:Original post by macmoy
can i ask a question,, ive tried XNA..but theres an error "invalid method" this is because of the "SpriteBatch" now,,why is this happening?? is it the video card?

From your other thread, it appears the problem is your graphics card being shader incapable, while XNA doesn't use a fixed-function pipeline.

The easiest way would be to purchase a new video card, but I don't know what electronics prices are like in the Philippines. Here, I can get a shader-capable card for less than $100, but cards of that price are kinda crappy, despite their shader capabilities.

If you can't get one, you could try DirectX and C++, but it would require far more work from you to learn. I wouldn't go this route unless it's your only option.
XBox 360 gamertag: templewulf feel free to add me!
thanks for your comments.. im really confused..i have a geforce2mx/mx400... is this incapable of having shader?? what video card would you recommend?? geforce3 is enough to do the job?
The Geforce2 isn't even a full DirectX 8 card let alone DirectX 9. At the very minimum you should aim to have a card that supports Shader Model 2.0. For the NVidia cards, this starts with the FX Series (even though most of the FX cards are pretty terrible and you'd maybe be better of with a 6000 series Geforce ...which are great cards) and for ATI it began with the Radeon 9500.

Older cards such as the Geforce 3 and Geforce 4 Ti models (important to not get a Geforce 4 MX as it is almost as old/bad as a Geforce 2 and is not a true Geforce 4) and I think in terms of Radeons the 8500 and above, do support Shader Model 1.1, but I think you should aim for Shader Model 2.0 at the minimum if you want to get the most out of XNA.

Regards,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
thanks for the info...
uhmm if i want to have shader 2.0,,radeon 9500 can be??

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement