Sign in to follow this  

Generating box boundaries that don't overlap

This topic is 4022 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working on a program to generate Sudoku. It supports arbitrary grid sizes (with the constraint that the size of the grid must be a multiple of either two or three), and box boundaries. What I'm working on right now is an algorithm to arbitrarily generate random, non-rectangular, non-overlapping box boundaries. Whereas a normal Sudoku grid has its interior boxes in a perfectly square or rectangular arrangement, I want to be able to generate boxes that don't overlap. Here are the constraints/requirements 1) The full grid is square. The number of elements wide/high is a multiple of two or three. 2) Each box must have a number of elements equal to the grid's size (its width/height). 3) No box can overlap another one. 4) The boxes, taken together, must fill the grid perfectly, with no elements outside it and no spaces inside it that are not part of a box. Anybody have any ideas/links? Thanks a bunch!

This topic is 4022 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.