where I go from here after c++?

Started by
8 comments, last by wii 17 years, 4 months ago
Still I'm new to game programming, but I do know little bit about game programming since I learn Torque engine for 2D right now, but still I took C/C++ classes from school using console application so I maybe know enough to program with class,tree, inheritance, etc because of that I really want to continue to use C++ to do game programing so how can I start from here? I read the threads, saying to learn SDL, OpenGL, DirectX, or Win32, which means I have to give up my C++ and learn other languages???
Advertisement
Nope! Keep on working at C++. SDL, OpenGL, DirectX, or Win32 are basically libraries of functions that you can call with C++ to do graphics.
SDL, OpenGL, DirectX and Win32 are all libraries. They aren't languages. A library is a package of functionality with various language interfaces. There is a C++ interface for all of those libraries. So you _use_ C++ when you program with SDL, OpenGL, DirectX and Win32.

As far as languages go, you should always be learning new languages.

-me
thank everyone for the responding. I dont mind learning new languages as long as it can help me to improve my skill in game programming. It's just that I always hear and read people say you can make game with C++, but I just can't find the resources such as tutorial to get start. By any chance if you know where I can find those resources? thank in advance..
I'd recommend SDL. It is by far the simplest of the libraries you listed. It allows for 2D graphics, but can be used with OpenGL for 3D too. Lazy Foo (who is a member here) has a great set of tutorials on game programming with SDL.
Quote:Original post by Palidine
As far as languages go, you should always be learning new languages.
*cough* C# and XNA *cough*
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
I'm just so happy for your link so without arguing with you about calling me Lazy Foo. Instead, thank you. I'm new here to this site so maybe that's why I didn't find the link you gave me.
hahahah three days ago, I read about the XNA at microsoft website so I'm very interested to learn it.
Quote:Original post by wii
I'm just so happy for your link so without arguing with you about calling me Lazy Foo. Instead, thank you.

He meant to say I made have a set of tutorials on SDL.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

YES it was silly of me to misunderstand that until when I got to your tutorial website then I realized ohhh ok that's what he meant. So you made those tutorials that's very awesome!! Thank you for your sharing your knowledge with us.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement