Sign in to follow this  
Uphoreum

[.net] [XNA] Base Class

Do I need to call the base classes overriden methods? Like, base.Initialize(), base.Draw(), base.Update()? Or is there nothing useful in those?

When setting up a new "Windows Game" project, the template main game class they make for you that derives from Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game does explicitly call base.Initialize(), base.Draw(), base.Update(), etc. for its respective overridden functions so I'd assume that's necessary. Not sure what exactly they do though.

Oh, okay. I'll just do it, it can't hurt.

As a side question here, I forgot when Initialize is called, and what you should do in there. Should I set variable values in there?

The XNA documentation suggests "Override [Initialize()] to query for any required services and load any non-graphics resources".

The docs also list the effects of calling base.Intialize/Draw/Update/etc() under the "Remarks" category of the respective functions of Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game if you're interested in seeing what exactly they do. base.Initialize() will apparently "enumerate through any components and call their Initialize methods."