Sign in to follow this  
RSL

My First C++ Game

Hi, my name is Ryan, but people just call me RSL, especially in the GameDev.Net forums. Anyway, I am 14 years old, and I've learned C++ in January, 2006. I started on this game, my first C++ game, in February 12, 2006, and it ended, on July 2006. Anyway, the game is called world of legends, and it is an RPG style game, with lots and lots of content. There are hundreds of weapons, and over 20 full featured things that you can do in the game. You will just have to download, to see for yourself. The download link is below. http://one.fsphost.com/Ryan4816/Projects/WoL/Release%203.zip Oh, and if you want to visit my development team website, IceVortex, then its on the link below, just click on it. http://www.rslgames.bravehost.com By the way, be sure to extract before playing, or else it will not work, and, plus, you need to extract the game, in order to save your game data, as well. Anyways, please post your comments here, but please don't judge me too harshly. It was only my first game, and I had only 1 month of programming experience at that time, and it seems like a wonder to make a game this large, when I'm only 14 years old, and with only a little programming experience. I have learned much from this project, and if you want the source code, which really isn't that great, just replace the, "Release%203.zip", with, "Source%203.zip". Oh, and one more thing, Please judge the game on what it is, and not on what it's missing. You will get what I mean, after you download the game. Anyways, Enjoy!!! -Ryan [Edited by - RSL on December 15, 2006 3:21:06 PM]

All I can say is I'm pretty much amazed, and totally jealous ;-)

I'm 14 too, and I started when I was 11, and I could never have made anything like that in my first month of learning C++.

Awesesome Job.

Very cool, reminds me of the first games I made in C++. Try making a tile based game with a map, they are a lot of fun, and you can make them very easily in a console. :) However you may decide to move onto a graphics API.

Thanks for all your replies, and positive feedback. I'm not planning to make any more games for the console, as I will be moving on to DirectX games, on, later in my life. But, I don't want to go back to console sometime, because I suddenly realized, "hey, I have never made a text game in my life, ever!!!". So, I would consider myself complete.

Oh, and bronxbomber92, I will post some screenshots. The links are below.

http://one.fsphost.com/Ryan4816/Pics/titlescreen.bmp

http://one.fsphost.com/Ryan4816/Pics/battleengine.bmp

http://one.fsphost.com/Ryan4816/Pics/minigames.bmp

Very nice text based game. I'm impressed. As you stated some improvements can be made, like adding graphics and stuff. Although it is very impressive first game. I sugest making a little bit of a manual so people know what they are doing instead of just wondering around. I know I had a hard time figuring out where to go and what to do to get to the story of the game. An example you might want to consider is that I noticed that in some of the areas you have to say the right thing to stop talking to a person in order to leave the area, mainly the mentors, this would be a good thing to point out in like a manuel. Also the calculator is something that needs explaining. Other than that, great game for a first one.

Quote:
Original post by Uphoreum
All I can say is I'm pretty much amazed, and totally jealous ;-)

I'm 14 too, and I started when I was 11, and I could never have made anything like that in my first month of learning C++.

Awesesome Job.

Quote:
Original post by RSL
I've learned C++ in January, 2006. I started on this game, my first C++ game, in February 12, 2006, and it ended, on July 2006.

Reading comprehension failed. :s

OP: That host requires a cookie for any downloads :( Not very polite of them. Also, it would be better to save screenshots as .png (there are still people in the world on 56k, believe it or not).

It looks good, though. Any chance we could see the source? :)

Quote:
Original post by Zahlman

Reading comprehension failed. :s

It looks good, though. Any chance we could see the source? :)

Quote:
Original post by RSL

I have learned much from this project, and if you want the source code, which really isn't that great, just replace the, "Release%203.zip", with, "Source%203.zip".

Reading comprehension failed :P:P

Great game man! I'm not much for text adventures, except once in a while, but this one was good! It beats the crap out of my first game, which I'm trying to post on my FreeWebs site. Keep up the good work.

Awsome game. I started learning c++ when i was 14 also. I made a text based game rpg just like you did, exept that yours seems wayy better. Right now im 15 and i just started directx programming about 5 months ago. Right now im working on a top down based airplane game using direct3d and c++. The game should be completed in febrary.

Oh, and if you want to start directx programming, visit www.directtutorial.com

Thanks, and I really did ospend a lot of time, making that too. The code isn't that great, well I used some of Rasm's Wrath Lands code for some part of the game.

Like some classes are from his design, like how he implemented the add spell, add potion, cast spell things, but I customly designed the battle engine, so I hoped you like it...

Hidden
Quote:
Original post by Possumdude0
I started C++ at 18. Now I'm 19. I'm just a late bloomer :(

It is never too late! I am 24 years now, and I've known C for about 2 years (I think). I have been "programming" since I was 7-8 years old, but I never really understood what I was doing. I was banging my head against the desk screaming "how do they do it????". It took me next to 14 years before I started to understand the logic of programming.

So anyone here who feels he or she is a "slow learner" should think about me :)

Guest Anonymous Poster
um, could you post the source code here? i'm not aloud to download stuff. andi'm new at c++ and am trying to make games, but keep on getting messed up..i think i could learn alot form you code...

could you please post the source code here?

thnx

Guest Anonymous Poster
oh, and on you website [url]http://rslgames.bravehost.com/projects.html[/url] the button
"Text based rpg" could you give me the source code to that? for some reason my computer cant go there.

The developer said to replace release%203 with source%203, so, from my guess, this should be the link to the source code, and it's quite large, if you ask me.

http://one.fsphost.com/Ryan4816/Projects/WoL/Source%203.zip

Guest Anonymous Poster
for som reason i cant go there...could som1 post the code here, or post a text document that has the code in it? please