How MMO server applications work?

Started by
4 comments, last by pulpfist 17 years, 4 months ago
I mean, every MMORPG is composed by a client, a database and a server application. The last one controlls the AI of the monsters, the environment and is like a mediator between the client and the database. I have no idea about how it works, so does someone knows or has a tutorial of that? And, how do the databases save the current information of the environment? For example, if there is a sword thrown in the floor (which is NOT a part of the map), a new record is created on the database to keep its information (xposition, yposition, etc.)? Sorry, i know these are stupid questions but im really noob on this topic. Thanks for the answers. Cya
Advertisement
Friendly advice:

Any topic created in the beginners section that contains "MMO" anywhere in its title is a waste of time for the original poster and for anyone responding to the questions seriously.
__
You are bound to ask why... There are several reasons.
One: There are many different kinds of MMORPGs from online php based to games like WoW, no easy answer will suffice here, and anything more detailed will be above your current ability.
Two: You need to understand the basics before launching into a question like this... There is no "MMORPG Tutorial" type of literature which will automagically sort you out. I'd recommend making a simple chat program first... Just get a few people in a chat room typing back and forth.
Three: Even making assumptions which would allow me to answer your question, the answer itself would be broad spanning several areas you've probably never worked with, and several I haven't either. Designing and creating a MMORPG is a monumental task spanning several areas of computer programming and visual art stuffs.

Do things incrementally and they won't be impossible... You can move a mountain stone by stone, but try to lift the mountain by it's mineral roots and you'll have problems.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
In our system every item 'instance' has a row in the database. This row gives details about that item such as where it exists in the world ( ie X,Y,Z ) or where it is in a persons inventory. It saves other attributes as well such as the durability and crafter ID. Whenever the item undergoes a transition ( example, from inventory to world ) we can update this table. So in your example, for a sword tossed on the ground we simply update that item's row to put in the new X,Y,Z and sector location.

-----------
Andrew
I thought that only those topics with names like "i want to create a mmorpg" or "im looking for programmers to build a 3d mmorpg" arent taken seriously. I never said i want to do that. And im obviously not talking about WoW. I was talking about MMOs like Tibia or simpler.

And when i asked about a tutorial, (actually there is one of Eternal Lands) i meant an explanation of the bases of the MMORPGs, just its structure.

And for all those people that say "try making a tetris or asteroids first", that has no sense. They have no relationships with MMOs. At least making a singleplayer RPG to understand how graphics/directx works, a simple chat to understand the client/server part, and an example database, authentication, etc. for the database stuff.

Anyway, thanks for answering (both acraig and m2tm).
acraig, nice answer. That help me either :)
There is no reason why you should not start with a RPG. They are even good candidates when your still doing text games ^^
I think you said MMORPG somewhere so there had to be some fuzz...

Dont have any realy good links for you though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement