n00b looking for partner(s) in crime.

Started by
7 comments, last by RavynousHunter 17 years, 4 months ago
I'm a total newbie when it comes to programming video games and programming period, though I'm no total dummie when it comes to technology. I've made a webpage or two and whatnot. I'm in the process of learning C++ on my own. I'm working my way through a 350 page book on C++ which is geared towards game programming, I'm currently about 125 pages in on it. And then I also have another 1,000 page game programming book which should carry me a ways after that. Anyways... I was wondering if there are any other people out there who are learning like I am and would be interested in makin' a small group and helping each other out along the way and then possibly working on making some games together. I'm a student and also work a bit, but I'm on break for the next month and a half and would like to see how far I can educate myself on this subject. I'm very serious and dedicated to this and would like to find others who share the same passion. So no matter your skill level at this point, be it more experienced than me or less, contact me if you're interested and we can help each other out. e-mail me at jgmachine@gmail.com
Advertisement
Hey,

I'm a student as well, in the Netherlands, and after my exams next week I'll have a period of 'less activity' coming up in which I could be of help. I am a bit more experienced in C++ I think, and I've done some stuff with SDL and DirectX as well, but I never managed to, or got around to making something real (a game), and this might just be thé opportunity to do exactly that with someone else.

I'd be interested in learning together, and perhaps, make a game together as well. Anyway, if this sounds good to you just PM me or email me at rogierpennink@gmail.com

- Rogier

[Edited by - rogierpennink on December 14, 2006 8:39:57 AM]
Im kind of interested in this.

Currently I'm programming in Java, but i would like to learn C++ too.

Contact me by pm or add to msn (also for more information): kevin_verhulst@hotmail.com
Do you have a place for one more ? :D . I am in. Pm me.
Ok even though myspacebar doesn't work right now,i'm going to reply to this anyway.
I am interested in creating a group of gameprogrammers/hobbysts/enthusiasts preferably in the netherlands,although location isn't that important.What is important is that the creation of a group should not be an excuse or procrastinationtechnique to avoid doing the actual programming,as i often see with so many people who want to create a group,do a game programmer education 'course',or build the nextgenmmporgalthoughtheydon'tevenknowwheretostart:-)

Wat also is sort of important that the people in this group should have _some_ experience with games programming,or programming in general.Basic programming isn't that hard to learn,as long as you're not doing graphics.But you can always learn that later,or use a lib.

Of course,it would also be nice if you bring your own area of expertise to.I expect most of you are students,but if you are not,for example you're a networking engineer,that's something a coder doing networking code could really benefit from.

Whatihavelearn'tfrompast programmingexperience,isthathavinga pet project reallyhelpsyouachieveyourgoals.Alongthew ay you learn the skills you need for creating your software. It doesn't matter if it is a huge project,what matters is that evenyoudon'thavet thecurrentknowledgenow,youwilltryand get it. The fact thatyouhaveagamethatneedsacertaintypeof programming thingoracertaintypeof algorithm,that'sthething that will motivateyoutogetit (the fact thaty ourgamewillbenefitfromitandtohaveitseebeingimplementedandforward your game to the nextlevel).

So i guess my question is,what is the general lines of experience you tend to acquire in the group and what is the average age of people participating.

As for communication, i prefer irc.I don't know c++, but i'mw ell-versed in C
Well, as it stands I've had three people add me to msn who were interested. It's a pity the OP isn't online currently, but I'll probably email everyone who I talked to and the OP about possible forums from where we can operate and communicate. Of course an IRC channel would be neat later on, but to get in touch seems a priority right now.

Most of us (three) know some C++ and are experimenting with SDL so it should be a realistic aim to work towards a simple 2D game. We've already talked about some ideas and it sounds promising. The only problem is that I haven't managed to talk with the OP yet, but I am sure that, once I do, we should have a group going :P
Hey,

I am a very clueless nub at programming also, though, I'm younger, and didn't start with C++. Right now I'm learning Java for game programming, later.. I'll be moving to C++.

So.. if you need / don't mind another joining this group, I'll be glad to! Hopefully get some tips / give tips about Java when I can. :D

- F01km3ta1
WAR-Radio - 2007
Hi,

I'm new to C++ programing, too.

I'm a student in the UK and I'm just working my way through some books to learn the language.

I'm a sound engineer and programming is a passionate hobby of mine, while I only did bits and pieces with lingo and actionscript, I want to move on during the xmas break and learn C++ from the ground.

I could provide sound design and effects for any project you would have in mind.

I'm working on an Intel-Mac, so I could also support the group with compiling and testing on two different MAC systems (Macmini and MacBook Pro).

Well, my msn is protoolz@hotmail.co.uk

or you can try skype under protoolz13, which I sort of switched to now. But I check msn everyday :)

Ah yeah, I'm 26 years old, and I am from Germany, I'm living in the UK now though.

CU !
I'm fairly fluent with C++ (had about 3-4 months experience), and Id be interested in joining something like this. Though im not entierly familiar w/ SDL, im sure it shouldnt be too much of a leap for me to learn it. I dont have msn messanger, but i do have AIM (s/n : Tyranthax007). I think i have SDL on my main computer, ill have to check, but im pretty sure i do. Im also pretty fluent in math, such as statistics and the like, and am really good when it comes to creating equations and programming them.

For those interested, I've found an interesting GUI library called "Crazy Eddie's GUI System." From what I've seen, it looks fairly functional and is purportedly "easy to use." (i wouldnt know as im posting this from school right now.) If you guys want to check it out, click here.

[Edited by - RavynousHunter on December 14, 2006 12:25:17 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement