Sign in to follow this  
Saimi

auto-generated texture coords to shader

i'm trying to implement bumpmapping in cg, but i've run into a problem. i want calculate my tbn-matrix in the vertex shader, but this requires the texture coords as far as i know. my problem is that i've mapped the texture onto an object using glTexGen, and i really don't know how to extract the auto generated tex coords and pass them to the shader. can anyone help me?? kind regards /s a i m i

In short; you don't.

Auto-texture coord generation is part of the vertex stage, if you are using a vertex shader you have to generate them yourself.

However, 3DLabs has a program which can generate fixed function like shaders, so you might want to take a look at that to get the code, iirc it's linked to in the Forum FAQ

Supposedly in GLSL you can grab contexts to these FFP settings, but I tried it and couldn't make heads or tails out of it. I ended up just modifying the texture matrix myself (which is what glTexGen* does anyway) and grabbing that in the vertex shader.

Quote:
Original post by talas
Supposedly in GLSL you can grab contexts to these FFP settings, but I tried it and couldn't make heads or tails out of it. I ended up just modifying the texture matrix myself (which is what glTexGen* does anyway) and grabbing that in the vertex shader.
You should be able to access the following built-in uniform state variables (the page numbers refer to the OpenGL 1.4 Spec)
Quote:
From the GLSL 1.2 Spec
//
// Texture Environment and Generation, p. 152, p. 40-42.
//
uniform vec4 gl_TextureEnvColor[gl_MaxTextureUnits];
uniform vec4 gl_EyePlaneS[gl_MaxTextureCoords];
uniform vec4 gl_EyePlaneT[gl_MaxTextureCoords];
uniform vec4 gl_EyePlaneR[gl_MaxTextureCoords];
uniform vec4 gl_EyePlaneQ[gl_MaxTextureCoords];
uniform vec4 gl_ObjectPlaneS[gl_MaxTextureCoords];
uniform vec4 gl_ObjectPlaneT[gl_MaxTextureCoords];
uniform vec4 gl_ObjectPlaneR[gl_MaxTextureCoords];
uniform vec4 gl_ObjectPlaneQ[gl_MaxTextureCoords];
Also, TexGen doesn't do anything to the texture matrix. The result of TexGen is sent on down the pipe just like a texture coordinate specified by glTexCoord* (the next step is that it's multiplied by the texture matrix).