Sign in to follow this  
tzigane

OpenGL What the real deal with OpenGL on Vista?

Though "teh internets" are filled with rumors that Vista will natively support an accelerated implementation of OpenGL 1.4 through some DirectX compatibility layer, I'm unable to find any specific information. On the Vista system we have setup here, we're unable to get anything other than an OpenGL 1.1 software implementation. The 1.4 rumors made reference to a ogldrv.dll file, which *is* present, but as far as I can tell, it's not doing any thing exciting for us. This particular system is using weak Intel integrated graphics, but it did support accelerated OpenGL enough in XP to run our software correctly and quickly. We're worried that the OpenGL support has degraded in Vista and that a lot of our users with borderline graphics hardware will be left out. So what is the real answer here? Will there be native OpenGL 1.4 support through some magic configuration or code change? Has anybody gotten this working? - jon

Quote:
Original post by MARS_999
Read this sticky

Thanks, I've looked at the sticky.

The question in my post comes from the fact that my experience so far with Vista does not jive with what was stated in the sticky.

In particular: "MSOGL - this is an implementation of OpenGL 1.4 that uses Direct3D under the covers to hardware accellerate the application." I have been unable to confirm the presence of such an implementation.

- jon

Quote:
Original post by phantom
have you installed any drivers for the gfx chip since installing vista?

Unfortunately, Intel doesn't seem to have put out Vista drivers for this card (865). That's why I was hoping that there would be support for a "generic" 1.4 implementation.

- jon

I've installed Vista on my laptop with a Nvidia 7800GTX, installed Nvidia's beta Vista drivers and ran OpenGL apps that used 2.0 extensions. They ran just fine. So the myths are false as long as you update your drivers...which is the case in Windows XP anyway.

Have you looked at running the OpenGL extension viewer? http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/
Maybe that will shed some light...