Sign in to follow this  
mia305

I want to remake Bust-A-Groove

mia305    122
Hey guys, my name is Khambrel. Im going to be starting college next year for film development, but i was really going to college for game design but i changed my mind because i found some articles on game programing on the internet. One of my favorite games for PSONE is Bust-A-Groove. The first one is the best one, part 2 sucked and the last one only came out in Japan. Im a artist too and i thought it would be fun to do a remake of Bust-A-Groove with a better story line, music of 2006 and beyond, better character designs, etc etc. Only thing is i dunno where to start....I want to use the same game engine for Bust-A-Groove, but just change the music, level design, character design, stuff like that. Can anyone tell me what i need to do first before going into the Bust-A-Groove files or any PSONE game, what program i need to run the files? I only have Bust-A-Groove 2, i traded part 1 at Gamestop last year....it was hard to come by too and still cost $40 even if it was used. Heres is my artwork of Yami from Yugioh http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7638/older20version20yugivc7.jpg

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Its not gonna happen, sorry.

Hacking a game to replace (essentially all) the content and even some code infrastructure in your case, takes even more skill than to just build a new game from scratch. The exception is if that game is designed to allow modding and the documentation to do so is available; but seeing as how this is a Console game Absolutely Not.

If you want to clone this game, write it from scratch it will a lot less painful; and more importantly it will be Possible. (yes I am taking into account the fact that you obviously are an artist/designer with no coding knowlege; your odds are still better to code it from scratch)

mia305    122
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Its not gonna happen, sorry.

Hacking a game to replace (essentially all) the content and even some code infrastructure in your case, takes even more skill than to just build a new game from scratch. The exception is if that game is designed to allow modding and the documentation to do so is available; but seeing as how this is a Console game Absolutely Not.

If you want to clone this game, write it from scratch it will a lot less painful; and more importantly it will be Possible. (yes I am taking into account the fact that you obviously are an artist/designer with no coding knowlege; your odds are still better to code it from scratch)

So how can I clone it and write it from scratch? do i have to copy the codes or something?

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I've never played Bust-A-Groove but I say your best bet is to use a pre-existing game engine like Ogre3D and build the game on that. This still requires coding skill, however. Perhaps you have a friend in the computer science department?

mia305    122
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I've never played Bust-A-Groove but I say your best bet is to use a pre-existing game engine like Ogre3D and build the game on that. This still requires coding skill, however. Perhaps you have a friend in the computer science department?

My brother friend is 25, he told me months ago that if i want to get into game design, i have to know C++ and Open GL, he told me to find some articles, so i decided to do that 2 days ago. Hes into computers and my other brother friend goes to The Art Institute. Also my brother martial artist instructor is good with computers. My friend is going to college for game design next year Jan 3, me and him are going to be partners

But im going Orge3D to see what that is, i really want to make another Bust-A-Groove game

Palidine    1315
Quote:
Original post by mia305
So how can I clone it and write it from scratch? do i have to copy the codes or something?

There are no "codes" to copy, No graphics to copy (without immense effort after which you'd be sued). You literally start from a blank file and write a clone and create all the graphics from nothing. i.e. you need to learn to program, and if you want decent art either get an artist to make them for you or learn to be an artist too.

If you are starting from scratch (i.e. don't know how to program yet), you're looking at about a 2 year process.

Even if you're using a pre-made engine (like Torque, Ogre3D, etc) it'll be more than a year before you see results.

I only say this to set expectations on the difficulty of the task before you. Hopefully I'm not being a dick or dissuading you from this path. I just hate when people get all hyped up and then find out how hard the reality is and quit. Stick with it and you'll get where you want. There's just a lot of skills to be learned along the way.

-me

mia305    122
Quote:
Original post by Palidine
Quote:
Original post by mia305

There are no "codes" to copy, No graphics to copy (without immense effort after which you'd be sued). You literally start from a blank file and write a clone and create all the graphics from nothing. i.e. you need to learn to program, and if you want decent art either get an artist to make them for you or learn to be an artist too.

If you are starting from scratch (i.e. don't know how to program yet), you're looking at about a 2 year process.

Even if you're using a pre-made engine (like Torque, Ogre3D, etc) it'll be more than a year before you see results.

I only say this to set expectations on the difficulty of the task before you. Hopefully I'm not being a dick or dissuading you from this path. I just hate when people get all hyped up and then find out how hard the reality is and quit. Stick with it and you'll get where you want. There's just a lot of skills to be learned along the way.

-me

I know how hard it is, but its the fact that i love videogames and i been wanting to make games since i was in 5th grade and i graduated this past May. I say to myself "man.....i dont wanna take 4 years to learn game programming, but on the other hand its worth it". So far i have 3 game ideas, but with the ideas i have going through my mind, the only way its gonna take off is for me to get into a game company. Im really serious about this though.