Making games playable over the net?

Started by
3 comments, last by SimonForsman 17 years, 4 months ago
I'm learning c++ at the moment and starting to right my first few games but at some point I'd like to make a web page and have some games that are playable over that as a kind of online portfolio. Can I do this with c++ or should I be looking into Java? What else would I need to learn to set this up? Thanks
Advertisement
If you're looking to do browser based games, you'd need to use either Java or Flash. Flash is the norm, usually. To set it up, all you really need is flash, and some web-coding skills (also a webhost), and then you can put it online for people to play. That's all there is to it (that I'm aware of).

Cheers!
"I'd rather know one thing, no matter how ordinary, than discourse endlessly on great issues." -- Galileo
Quote:Original post by F1N1TY
If you're looking to do browser based games, you'd need to use either Java or Flash. Flash is the norm, usually. To set it up, all you really need is flash, and some web-coding skills (also a webhost), and then you can put it online for people to play. That's all there is to it (that I'm aware of).

Cheers!

You can do it in C++ if you create your own ActiveX for IE and plugin for FF.
Quote:Original post by Daivuk

OK I know what c++ and IE are and but can you explain ActiveX and FF to me in newbie speak please? Any good resources for this sort of stuff?

Thanks
Quote:Original post by obi-wan
Quote:Original post by Daivuk

OK I know what c++ and IE are and but can you explain ActiveX and FF to me in newbie speak please? Any good resources for this sort of stuff?

Thanks

ActiveX is a plugin system for IE (Internet Explorer) which can be used to create nice features that IE normally wouldn't be able to handle, (The problem is that most users are very suspicious of ActiveX components since they are a common source of malware), FF is Mozilla Firefox, another very popoular webbrowser.

Using C++ for a webbased game is not recomended really as you'd need to write one client for each browser(IE,FF,Opera,Safari atleast) and each OS, (Windows,Linux,MacOSX atleast). thus you basically need 12 clients (4x3) to cover the majority of platforms, with flash or java that problem is allready solved as those are avaliable for most browsers and systems.

however you could use C++ for the server backend (though i would personally prefer C# or Java for that).
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement