Help me to choose an engine

Started by
11 comments, last by cdoral 17 years, 3 months ago
Hi, I'm developing a C++ soccer indoor game for Win32 only. Main dev features: - Rendering simple models based on vertices and textures, human/bones animated models, all inside an octree or similar scenegraph. - Single player and multiplayer based on lockstep model. - Logic/physics determinist based on fixed time game loop. - OpenGL or DX, both better. I have builded my own math/physics and logic, but I can't write all libraries, I want to use an free of cost or cheap license for: - Rendering engine. I need an visual engine to draw the scene (pitch, players, grades, people like billboards). I think that an octree it's the best scenegraph for this kind of game. The game includes typical static models (goals, chairs, floor, etc.) based on vertices and textures, and human models + animations made with 3DMax/Character Studio/Physique. I need to render the scene in a simple way and importing/exporting tools for models and animations, a world builder perhaps, always using 3DMax. The engine must manage Windows, device contexts, keyboard, mouse too. - Network library for TCP and reliable UDP for lan and internet connections. - Memory, file, streams management. I like objects, classes, OOP but I want a clear way to write code when use the libraries. I have seen some engines (Ogre, C4 Engine, Genesis3D, etc.) but I don't know which it's the better choice. C4 Engine has all features that I need, but I'm not sure. Can anybody help me? Thanks a lot.
Advertisement
It is difficult to pick an engine. Ulitmately, you will need to just pick one and try it; if it doesn't seem to be working out, try a different one. One engine that looks interesting to me (though I haven't tried it) is Irrlicht. It is suitable for multiplatform development.
Step 1: Enumerate the engines that will suit your needs.
Step 2: Select a random number using a suitable RNG.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: $$$ PROFIT $$$
I know, I will try several engines (Irrlicht too), thanks a lot.

Personally, I found Ogre slightly more to my tastes than Irrlicht. Irrlicht supports a lot of formats out of box, but seemed less plugin oriented. Ogre required you convert to its format, but had a more extendable core. As a result, it felt more like a rendering framework plus more, which made it a bit heavier weight to use than Irrlicht.

In other words, it depends on your needs. ;)
I did read something about Ogre and I like it, I will try both.
Thanks BrianL.
Personally, I find Irrlicht too 'immature' (for lack of a better word) compared to Ogre. Irrlicht's API comes across as a hodge-podge of ideas and features without much consideration into the final products or how an API should work with itself and stay consistent. Ogre is much better at this. A good example of what I'm talking about can be seen in the tutorials of both engines. I tried to find a tut for each that did basically the same thing: Animation and movement:

Irrlicht: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/tut004.html

Ogre: http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Intermediate_Tutorial_1

Of course, the choice is up to you. Do some research, try the engines out and see what you like best.
just wanted to mention Crystal Space, which also has network and more in the bundle.
I prefer Irrlicht over OGRE. I like the ease of use with Irrlicht which i didn't find with OGRE. I don't like the way the API is put together for OGRE.
It's not a bug... it's a feature!
Thanks a lot, I will try all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement