Sign in to follow this  

C++ 64 bit migration tools

This topic is 3993 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Testing company code to work in a 64 bit environment. Can anyone recommend any tools that can help find memory problems that may result from a 32 bit to 64 bit migration. Thanks.

Windows Vista x64 -> run application.

Sure I'm joking, this won't test all flaws, but using an application is the best way to know if it work :)

Quote:
Original post by Dunge
Windows Vista x64 -> run application.

Sure I'm joking, this won't test all flaws, but using an application is the best way to know if it work :)
That won't test anything. It'll just run in 32-bit emulation.

I don't know of any tools, but if you just look for casts to/from int/pointer or handle types, it should be obvious.

If you're using VC, build with /Wp64 (or Project->Properties->Configuration Properties->C/C++->General->"Detect 64-bit Portability Issues".

The usual mistakes are bad assumptions about the size of int, long, and pointers. In particular there is a ton of code that assumes that they are all the same size and casts between them.

Such utility is Viva64. It is the lint-like static analyzer С++ code, developed specially for search of errors of port of applications on 64-bit systems. It on the order surpasses diagnostic opportunities of a key /Wp64. Developers of the given utility also managed to collect on a site many interesting links to resources on the given subjects.
http://www.viva64.com

This topic is 3993 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.