Pinging out my network?

Started by
3 comments, last by Godlikeman 17 years, 4 months ago
I am in school and on my schools huge network, I noticed if I try to ping out into another network, like to my friends computer at his school or to my comp at home, it doesnt work, but if I ping a website like yahoo.com it works fine(all packets come back) Can someone explain why.
I don't have to do nothing but live and die, everything else i choose to do- I don't know, but my dad says it alot
Advertisement
Many computers either are behind firewalls which don't allow ICMP traffic, or themselves are not configured to respond to ICMP ping requests, or are assigned localnet IP addresses (through a NAT gateway) such that your gateway router drops the requests.
The network at your friend's school and your computer have to be configured to accept incoming ping requests. Typically school districts place firewalls on their networks to prevent that sort of thing, for security reasons.
Ok I get what yall are saying, THANX.
I don't have to do nothing but live and die, everything else i choose to do- I don't know, but my dad says it alot
The best way to talk to your friend is through telnet into somewhere like sdf.lonestar or M-net.arbornet.org.
<a href="http://www.chronoxdesign.co.uk>Join Chronox Design, you will live much longer trust us ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement