Terrain -> water -> clipping

Started by
12 comments, last by Fovster 23 years, 1 month ago
Thanks a lot people for the information, I got to try these methods as soon as this hangover leaves me be ;(

I''m not sure about the source, at the moment the sources are really crap and it is not optimized except for backface culling There''s a lot more to do but maybe later..

''''2+2=5 for extremely large values of 2.''''
- Fovster
Advertisement
The way I see it, this has nothing to do with the depth buffer. To see if it does, move the camera near it and start moving it sideways and forwards and backwards. If you see all kinds of strange patterns that radically change if you move the camera only a slight bit, it prolly IS due to the depthbuffer...

You draw the terrain using GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP? I had a similar ''problem'' with my own terrain engine. What it is is the way you draw the triangles (which way the ''deviding lines'' go to turn the qauds into triangles). Dunno how to fix it though

Very nice graphics btw!!!
Is that loaded from heightmap and colourmap?
I''d definately be in for opensource !
Ahh looks much better now.. increased the zNear plane value from 0.1f to 1.0f. However i don''t really understand how the z-buffer really works, so if someone has got some nice documentation or tutorials according to zbuffer it would be appreciated Going to try google now, it''ll probably help too.

- Fovster
Once again thanks, i''m really flattered by the positive feedback! Maybe it looks pretty cool but my code is crap It would help noone, bad bad design and stuff. Anything looks cool with pretty graphics. I have all my code in one file that is over 2000 lines long, so it really must be rewritten.

It might be fun to develop this thing in co-operation with some a little more experienced people. It would be fun to learn new aside developing. Doing this kind of project alone is pretty educating of course, but it takes lots of time to do something you have no idea about The megalomaniac plan is to create somekind of "tile-based rpg" out of this, ETA year 2020

So i''m really open to suggestions or such and you can mail me at tanderss@ratol.fi if you''re interested in somehow participating.

- Fovster

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement