NVPerfHUD does have issues...

Started by
3 comments, last by Krohm 17 years, 4 months ago
I'm not really sure of what's going on so I'd like to get a hint. I tried to drop my application (which is still in early stages so it wasn't really "smart") in NVPerfHUD and it went fine. After I change from the "global" (F5) view to the others, I cannot get back. If I do, the global view isn't here and a lot of errors begin to get dumped on the debug console (F6). It keeps writing about an unlocked vertex buffer. I checked out everything and avoided every VB lock/fetch/unlock. Since it was still giving isses, I dropped in PIX and started searching for a missing lock call. I wasn't able to find them. I'm rather sure the application isn't locking. The errors are generated when I go back to F5 so I would point my finger at NVPerfHUD but it seems unreasonable... by the way, selecting application-only reporting in the console still shows the errors. What should I do?

Previously "Krohm"

Advertisement
It now seems somewhat less unreasonable...
Now it begs that
Quote:NVPerfHUD says:
vs_3_0 shader executed in hardware vertex processing can only be paired with at least a ps_3_0 shader.

I'm sure all the shaders used are SM3.0.
Maybe NVPerfHUD is not so 'slick' as I intended it.
What's you experience with it?

Previously "Krohm"

It's not perfect, but I've generally found it to be extremely helpful.

I'd recommend using the debug version of DirectX to determine if you have any latent issues that may be causing problems when you run your program under NVPerfHUD.
I've used it mostly successfully on a large and complex commercial project. It's not 100% solid but it's pretty good and if you're seeing major problems I supsect it may be a problem with your code. Turn on maximum warnings in the Debug D3D runtime and see if you get any reports of incorrect behaviour from your app.

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

Quote:Original post by JasonBlochowiak
It's not perfect, but I've generally found it to be extremely helpful.

Quote:Original post by mattnewport
It's not 100% solid but it's pretty good...

I now understand I should use it with some salt. It's nothing really 'major' since the application is an experiment.
Thank you both of you, I now feel more confident.

Previously "Krohm"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement