Sign in to follow this  
Erik Sintorn

Confused about NVEmulate

Hello, I want to use NVEmulate to try some geometry shader stuff (since I can't quite spring out 500$ for a 8800 yet). However, after downloading the latest drivers, GLEW, and the NVEmulate program my program still does not believe I have the EXT_geometry_shader4 extension. Sure enough, looking through the NVEmulate doc it says I have to have at least a "Release 95 driver, preferably version 97.02". Now, the latest BETA driver available for my card (A GeForce 7600GT) is 93.81. What should I do? Did anyone get this working?

Ouch.
If you make it work, would you mind posting the results? It would be nice if GS emulation could come out useful (after all, VS can run in SW with decent performance, and they're roughtly the same instancing rate).
Thanks!

I tried this a few weeks ago and didn't get it working (didn't give up, just ran out of time), but I got one step past this so maybe I can help.

As seen in this thread, you need to force install 97.02 (or higher) drivers from this site.

From there, NVEmulate allowed me to compile a geometry shader (using the latest GLEW) just fine (no OpenGL errors either), but rendering gave me no output.

If you have any further luck with it, post in this thread so we all can benefit.

Hi all,

I've been puzzled myself about this situation and i thought i should give it a try. What i did was to download 97.02 from the nVidia's site and hack the inf file myself.

I then run nvemulate and OpenGL extension viewer reported all new extensions. I left it there because i didn't have time to play around with geometry shaders, so i thought that this should work ok. After reading Robert's post about getting no output despite the fact that the shader compiled just fine i tried to find a demo using gs in case to test it.

I found this lib which has a simple demo inside. Without enabling gs through nvemulate the demo reported that Geometry shader isn't a valid program object and the output was just one triangle. After enabling it, it run just fine (the output is 2 triangles from just one triangle).

So i think it must work ok. I can upload the inf somewhere if you want to use the official nVidia drivers. Just say it and i'll put it to (e.g.) rapidshare.

HellRaiZer

Thanks for the answers. I'd be delighted if you would post the INI file somewhere. What did you do with it exactly? And do you mean that you downloaded the 97.x version for the 8800 card?

Quote:

Thanks for the answers. I'd be delighted if you would post the INI file somewhere. What did you do with it exactly? And do you mean that you downloaded the 97.x version for the 8800 card?

Yes. I downloaded 97.02 from nVidia's site (which is only availiable for the 8800 models) and i changed the nv4_disp.inf so it could install on my machine (7800GTX). Nothing fancy or tricky. Just copied and pasted the info from another inf file (i don't remember which version but it doesn't matter) and removed some references from "missing" files (files which were present in the older installer and were referenced by the inf file).

Here is the complete package : Forceware 97.02 WinXP English (all models)
and here is just the inf file (in case you already have downloaded 97.02 English and you don't want to re-download 30MB : nv4_disp.inf for 97.02 WinXP English

Hope it works. Just for the record. As i said i've never really tested the new extensions, except from the little demo i posted above. I say that because i don't know if everything works ok and there are no problems. Last but not least, install the above drivers at your own risk. I don't take any responsibility for anything that might happen during or after the installation, including failures to reboot, GPU overheat or anything else. After all nVidia didn't upload any release 95 drivers for the older cards, so there must be a reason for that.

HellRaiZer