need help : pointer to an array of int

Started by
3 comments, last by Skizz 17 years, 4 months ago
hi i'm quite desperate as of this moment, could someone please help me correct the following code:
typedef int aSave[3];
aSave *_Save;
_Save=new aSave[];
my thoughts are: 1. the third line is definitely wrong(should be *_Save, not just _Save), but if i change it to "*_Save=new aSave[];" it says: ...error C2440: '=': 'aSave (*)' cannot be converted to 'int [3]' 2. i need the typedef, as i'm using aSave very often 3. i want a pointer to an array, not an array of pointers thanks
Advertisement
As you're using C++, make aSave a class:
class aSave{public:   int &operator [] (int index)   {      return array [index];   }private:   int array [3];};

You can also add bounds checking to the operator []. You'll need to add extra stuff to the class to make it really useful (constructor, assignment, etc).

Skizz
Thanks for feedback,
I wanted to make it as simple as possible, but hey, that's a good solution. It's much clearer than the array/pointer mess.

A bit more code to type but who cares.

Big Thanks!
You could end up with something like this:
typedef int aSave[3], *aSavePtr;...aSavePtr Save = new aSave;

But the class solution is better I think.
Now, if you want to get funky with this, then you could add some template magic:
#include <algorithm>// the array class templatetemplate <class T, int size, class trait = default_array_trait>class generic_array{public:   generic_array (void)   {     std::fill (m_array, &m_array [size], 0);   }   T &operator [] (int index)   {     return m_array [trait::check_index (index, size)];   }private:  T    m_array [size];};// this class is used to check the index used in the generic_array operator [] functionclass default_array_trait{public:  static int check_index (int index, int size)  {    return index >= 0 && index < size ? index : 0;  }};// define a type that contains 3 integerstypedef generic_array<int, 3> simple_array;void f1 (void){  //  example of using above type  simple_array    an_array;  an_array [0] = 42;}

The above lets us extend and alter the array class by defining a new traits class:
template <int lower_bounds>class bounded_array_trait{public:  static int check_index (int index, int size)  {    return index >= lower_bounds && index < (lower_bounds + size) ? index - lower_bounds : 0;  }};// define a type that contains 10 integers starting at index 100typedef generic_array <int, 10, bounded_array_trait <100> > bounded_array;void f2 (void){  //  example of using above type  bounded_array    an_array;  an_array [100] = 42;}

You can also change the types held in the array. This is getting close to what std::vector and similar STL types do - std::vector does dynamic resizing. Quite often you'll find that the STL already implements types that do what you want.

Skizz

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement