Which bounding box algorithm?

Started by
5 comments, last by Zakwayda 17 years, 4 months ago
Hi. I am trying to find some information about an algorithm that can generate the following type of bounding box as indicated by the green box around the red polygon "B". I already have an algorithm that generates the bounding box around polygon "A", but I have no idea what the name of an algorithm to produce the kind of bounding around polygon "B" would be called. Some help please. Thanks.
Advertisement

They're called 'Oriented Bounding Boxes' I haven't worked with them so I couldn't tell you how to build one.
Joshua Barczak3D Application Research GroupAMD
Well I can search for information on how to implement this, if that's correct name of this kind of algorithm. I thought it was something like minimum perimeter bounding box, or something. Thanks.
Quote:Original post by kelaklub
I thought it was something like minimum perimeter bounding box, or something.
Yes, it looks like you're looking for the oriented bounding box with the minimum area/perimiter. There are at least a couple of algorithms that are commonly used; terms to google for to learn more about these might include 'rotating calipers', 'OBB eigenvectors', and 'OBB covariance'.

Here is a google hit that looks promising. I can't vouch for its accuracy, but otherwise it looks like what you're looking for.
Cool. Thanks alot.
"Object-Oriented Bounding Box" (OOBB) might bring up more specific relevant information ("A" is bounded by an "Axis-Aligned Bounding Box" (AABB))
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
"Object-Oriented Bounding Box" (OOBB) might bring up more specific relevant information ("A" is bounded by an "Axis-Aligned Bounding Box" (AABB))
For what it's worth, the abbreviation OBB is used much more often than OOBB. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to search using the term OOBB as well, but 'OBB' will return the greater number of relevant hits.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement