I'm coding my own Game Engine

Started by
7 comments, last by Mr X 17 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I'm coding my own Game-Engine. (It will be open source.) The work is far from being finished but I've put some screenshots and a short video (avi/divx) on my website. The code is written in C++ using Direct3D and the Vertex/Pixelshader are written in HLSL. I make use of Parallax-Mapping, Bump-Mapping and Render-to-Texture Cube-Mapping. If anybody is interested and want to see it, my url is: link Simply follow the links Screenshots/Videos in the navigation bar. Feel free to write comments in my guestbook. Mr X [Edited by - Mr X on October 21, 2007 3:20:25 PM]
Advertisement
Moving to Y/A
What advantages will your game engine have over all other open source game engines?
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
What advantages will your game engine have over all other open source game engines?

"I'm having a baby."

"Oh, what advantages will your baby have over all the other babies?"

Why?
Quote:Original post by el conquist
Quote:Original post by Sneftel

"I'm having a baby."

"Oh, what advantages will your baby have over all the other babies?"

Why?

Last time I checked, people didn't have the option of using someone else's pre-existing baby to do their work for them. Bad analogy.
[ search: google ][ programming: msdn | boost | opengl ][ languages: nihongo ]
Quote:Original post by _goat
Last time I checked, people didn't have the option of using someone else's pre-existing baby to do their work for them. Bad analogy.

You're right, sorry.

EDIT:
The reason I did say that was because Sneftel's response seemed a bit coarse, it's an open-source engine, Mr X isn't selling anything and isn't trying to impose anything on anybody, his engine's current capabilities are clearly visible on his site when you look at that video. It would be one thing if Mr X was a salesman trying to get us to buy his commercial game engine, then I myself would want to know how his engine is better than others' engines, but as far as I know, Mr X is not a salesman.

Sorry to Sneftel, because I jumped on what you said, but it struck me, and while I think it's perfectly fine to be curious about what features his engine has, I frankly think it's just a little demeaning to Mr X and his work to ask about how his work compares to that of everyone elses in the way that Sneftel did. And you know, it's hard to convey as well as interpret tone over the internet, so I apologize if I misinterpreted Sneftel's response. This thread has gone completely off-topic and it's my fault. Mr X, that is one beautiful video you have on your site :)

[Edited by - el conquist on December 15, 2006 5:21:16 PM]
First of all.... SWEET!

That was a cool video. All it had was moving water and flashing lights but that was damn cool. So what else can it do? I'm curious. Do you need a high end graphics card to run that? How many people can you have in the scene and still have the effects stay crisp. Are you sure want to GPL it? Maybe you should LGPL or BSD it. Hell just license it! Also, since multithreading is all the craze nowadays, does this game engine take or can take advantage of that?

Oh and again.... SWEET!

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by el conquist
The reason I did say that was because Sneftel's response seemed a bit coarse, it's an open-source engine, Mr X isn't selling anything and isn't trying to impose anything on anybody, his engine's current capabilities are clearly visible on his site when you look at that video. It would be one thing if Mr X was a salesman trying to get us to buy his commercial game engine, then I myself would want to know how his engine is better than others' engines, but as far as I know, Mr X is not a salesman.

Sorry to Sneftel, because I jumped on what you said, but it struck me, and while I think it's perfectly fine to be curious about what features his engine has, I frankly think it's just a little demeaning to Mr X and his work to ask about how his work compares to that of everyone elses in the way that Sneftel did. And you know, it's hard to convey as well as interpret tone over the internet, so I apologize if I misinterpreted Sneftel's response. This thread has gone completely off-topic and it's my fault. Mr X, that is one beautiful video you have on your site :)

My point is not "why should we care". I fully understand that creation is its own reward. My point is more "why start from there". Making a game engine from scratch is a little bit about parallax mapping and refraction, and much much more about writing yet another matrix class and making yet another decision about resource management tradeoffs, and the resultant engines are all to often more about those aspects than the cool graphical and/or gameplay features. The screenshots and video look great, no doubt about it. But I can't help but wonder if they'd be even better if he'd started from some preexisting engine and improved it from there.

In any event, Mr X, I didn't mean to diminish your achievement. As I said, your engine looks great.
Thank you all for your answers. I want to answer your questions.

I started to code my own engine because I want to get skills in game programming. This is my first game programming project.

I'm not using a high end graphics card to run this.
The card I'm using is a GeForce 6600. (640x480 pixels, 60 fps)

Currently, the geometry of the players is very simple and many people can be in the scene. But the number of moving light sources (red balls in the video) is limited. In one section (the water tank in the video is roughly a section) the emitted light of 4 moving light sources can be rendered. For all other moving light sources, you would only see the red balls.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement