Sign in to follow this  
shawnre

XNA Sprite Rotation question

shawnre    266
I am attempting my first game of any type, using XNA. Basically trying to do an Atari type Tank game. I have managed to setup full screen, add a tank sprite, and implement keyboard movement. Trying to keep it simple one step at a time. My next challenge was to implement rotation. I have managed to get the tank to rotate in circles, clockwise and counter-clockwise. Again keeping it simple, I am using the standard WASD keys for movement. W moves the tank forward, S moves it backward. Now here is my problem, how do I adjust movement based on the rotation of the tank?? The tank starts facing straight down, and so far I can move it up and down the Y axis, the rotation allows for turning, but, not sure how to calculate X and Y values based on direction. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Shawn

joelmartinez    338
Here's the update method I used for an old game I wrote a while back with a similar control scheme to that:

private const double mathpioneeighty = Math.PI / 180;

public void Update(float delta)
{
if (mVelocity > 0f)
{
double radian = (double)mDirection * mathpioneeighty;
float scale = mVelocity * delta;
x += (float)Math.Cos(radian)* scale;
y += (float)Math.Sin(radian)* scale;
}
}

In this code, I'm storing the direction as an angle in degrees (mDirection), and the velocity (mVelocity) as a scalar value.