Sign in to follow this  
GamesProxy

Creating a Game

Hello, Me and friend of mine are looking at making an online 2d Space MMO something which will look like "Silent Death Online" which you can see an example of at http://theminiaturespage.com/news/pics/scf/nov01/814288a.gif. To sum the game up, people register get a basic ship, change the colours and name etc, then fight, gain xp and get a better ship buy better weapons etc. I am the web developer and he is the coder. He can code in C++, Java, Flash & Delphi but has never created a game before so whats the best way for him to go about it? This wont be browser based but instead client based, but only a simple client will be fine. Is there a free engine he can use to make this game? Thanks GP

Why doesn't he post here at gamedev? We are friendly people, mostly. :)

I think that making an mmo is not the best way to get into game programming, because of the difficulty involved in learning everything all at once. If he is an experienced programmer, I recommend starting out with a simple single player version of what You are going for. Don't try to learn graphics programmming, Network programming, The actual internal organization of a game, physics programming, etc. all at once. Take it slow. Give yourself time. You will fail. Alot, Your friend should get used to the idea, and figure on picking himself up, time after time. That said, I think that if your friend is patient, he will do well, and learn much about the nature of game programming.

Another thing you need to consider, perhaps not at this point, but later in the game, is making room for servers and stuff. You will need servers to run all the Software, and for an MMO, that's quite a bit of processing. You will also need great gobs of bandwidth for the server to communicate with the clients. This is jsut th ebare minumum, you will also need lots of other things, such as technicians to maintain the servers, defend against script kiddies, etc. I don't know much about the business aspects of an MMO, as game programming has never been more than a hobby for me.

I recommend doing lots of demos and proof of concept in c++, one for each idea or feature you wish to have in the game. As you do this, It will become clear how to fit it all together. At least that's how I do my project planning:)

He gets on the internet less than i do so he doesnt really have enough time to check forums etc.

I have no problems with the servers needed etc or the security, i can do alot of that myself.

Do you know of any game engines he could use or is it just a case of him coding from scratch everything?

Can you recommend a coding language to do it in?

Any articles on how to get started with that coding language?

i would recommend c++, but i'm a bit partial to it. there are tons of articles that cover most of the stuff that you are intrested in under the resources here at gamedev.

From my own experiance programming mmo (i have one graphical, the rest are text based) it is alot of work to program both a client and server and to make sure every thing synchs up correctly. not to mention anything that the player dose in an mmo you haft to handle serverside to prevent the players from cheating

i would recommend starting out like NIm mentioned with a single player version keeping every thing moduler, add a local lan like network and if you can get that working rip every thing apart and then build your mmo version because that version will be compleatly diffrent in every way except for maybe your graphics and sound

since you are wanting to work with 2d i would also recommend looking into the SDL it may save lots of time with the programming.

one final note
plan every thing out, make goals
set what order you want features/ systems to work by what version
keep copies of your old code in versioned archives examples "mygame_v0_0_10a.zip"
"mygame_v0_0_11.zip" ect or what everother format you want to use

Thanks for the info guys!

I think i will recommend C++ to my friend, i also managed to find a tutorial on how to network an MMO space game, can you tell me what you think of it? http://www.flipcode.com/articles/network_part01.shtml

I also recommend C++. The code can be portable, and it's high performance, and the code executes very fast. Or, if you want it easier to make, then use Java, Flash, Actionscript, or something like that. Just be sure to use a structured language, for most of it...

I have decided i will learn C++ also which should allow me to get the game finished quicker by helping my friend.

Fritz recommended SDL also, how will this help exactly? Will i need to use something like this to finish the game?

Thanks!

Quote:
Original post by GamesProxy
I have decided i will learn C++ also which should allow me to get the game finished quicker by helping my friend.

Fritz recommended SDL also, how will this help exactly? Will i need to use something like this to finish the game?

Thanks!

If you don't know what SDL is and have not studied C++. You are probably not ready to make a MMO. Don't even think about it.

SDL is a very commonly used API for making games using the OpenGL interface. It "simplifies" the process in which it takes to create various things using OpenGL. More information can be found here http://www.libsdl.org/index.php. You probably would be also fine using HGE, possibly even Irrlicht.

Your game sounds a lot like Cosmic Rift.

Also, you might even be better off buying Torque if you are extremely serious about this. You should know though, if you don't understand C++ or any programming languages in great detail. Torque may very well prove useless to you until you do. You can use Torque Script of course but even that requires some programming.

I personally recommend you avoid the idea of creating an MMO now and try creating a basic game. If you can’t make a simple game you’re not even close to making an MMO. Not trying to be mean but it is the truth. Many people here on GameDev have done developing for a VERY long time and never have made one.

[Edited by - DevLiquidKnight on December 16, 2006 6:08:23 AM]

Quote:
Original post by DevLiquidKnight
Quote:

Thanks!

If you don't know what SDL is and have not studied C++. You are probably not ready to make a MMO. Don't even think about it.

SDL is a very commonly used API for making games using the OpenGL interface. It "simplifies" the process in which it takes to create various things using OpenGL. More information can be found here http://www.libsdl.org/index.php. You probably would be also fine using HGE, possibly even Irrlicht.

Also, you might even be better off buying Torque if you are extremely serious about this. You should know though, if you don't understand C++ or any programming languages in great detail. Torque may very well prove useless to you until you do. You can use Torque Script of course but even that requires some programming.

I personally recommend you avoid the idea of creating an MMO now and try creating a basic game. If you can’t make a simple game you’re not even close to making an MMO. Not trying to be mean but it is the truth. Many people here on GameDev have done developing for a VERY long time and never have made one.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

What he is saying is, don't expect to have it done by next month/year. perhaps maybe 3-4 years learning the language maybe sufficient to get the ball rolling.

Learning C++ and actually coding effectively in C++ are two completely different things, notwithstanding a "MMO" game of any genre is no menial undertaking.

It spans across an array of subjects... that alone, will take months to get a grasp of: Gfx, Networking, Structure, Performance, Physics... the list goes painfully on...

Unless of course you are a prodigy of sorts who can absorb information like that guy in star trek called "Data"! :)

Good Luck and please respect that people are trying to help you, not to give negative "votes of confidence" - merely they fact they know whats involved and not to get to high expectation of wonders happening as a 2 man band.

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by DevLiquidKnight
Quote:

Thanks!

Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Hm, are you being facetious? If so, it's certainly not called for - DevLiquidKnight's post was perfectly reasonable.

If however I'm misinterpreting, then never mind :)

It was a joke. I appreciate information from everyone.

Can anyone tell me which API i should be using to make a game that looks like http://theminiaturespage.com/news/pics/scf/nov01/814288a.gif?

Quote:
It was a joke. I appreciate information from everyone.

Can anyone tell me which API i should be using to make a game that looks like http://theminiaturespage.com/news/pics/scf/nov01/814288a.gif?

All of the API's I and others have recommended will work, it is now up to you to choose.

There is tons of API's you can use, one site specifically useful to find one is DevMaster. Best for you yourself to determine based on how you want the game to function which best suites your needs.