Creating a Game

Started by
13 comments, last by GamesProxy 17 years, 4 months ago
What he is saying is, don't expect to have it done by next month/year. perhaps maybe 3-4 years learning the language maybe sufficient to get the ball rolling.

Learning C++ and actually coding effectively in C++ are two completely different things, notwithstanding a "MMO" game of any genre is no menial undertaking.

It spans across an array of subjects... that alone, will take months to get a grasp of: Gfx, Networking, Structure, Performance, Physics... the list goes painfully on...

Unless of course you are a prodigy of sorts who can absorb information like that guy in star trek called "Data"! :)

Good Luck and please respect that people are trying to help you, not to give negative "votes of confidence" - merely they fact they know whats involved and not to get to high expectation of wonders happening as a 2 man band.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by GamesProxy
Quote:Original post by DevLiquidKnight
I have decided i will learn C++ also which should allow me to get the game finished quicker by helping my friend.

Fritz recommended SDL also, how will this help exactly? Will i need to use something like this to finish the game?

Thanks!

If you don't know what SDL is and have not studied C++. You are probably not ready to make a MMO. Don't even think about it.

SDL is a very commonly used API for making games using the OpenGL interface. It "simplifies" the process in which it takes to create various things using OpenGL. More information can be found here http://www.libsdl.org/index.php. You probably would be also fine using HGE, possibly even Irrlicht.

Your game sounds a lot like Cosmic Rift.

Also, you might even be better off buying Torque if you are extremely serious about this. You should know though, if you don't understand C++ or any programming languages in great detail. Torque may very well prove useless to you until you do. You can use Torque Script of course but even that requires some programming.

I personally recommend you avoid the idea of creating an MMO now and try creating a basic game. If you can’t make a simple game you’re not even close to making an MMO. Not trying to be mean but it is the truth. Many people here on GameDev have done developing for a VERY long time and never have made one.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Hm, are you being facetious? If so, it's certainly not called for - DevLiquidKnight's post was perfectly reasonable.

If however I'm misinterpreting, then never mind :)
It was a joke. I appreciate information from everyone.

Can anyone tell me which API i should be using to make a game that looks like http://theminiaturespage.com/news/pics/scf/nov01/814288a.gif?
It was a joke. I appreciate information from everyone.

Can anyone tell me which API i should be using to make a game that looks like http://theminiaturespage.com/news/pics/scf/nov01/814288a.gif?

All of the API's I and others have recommended will work, it is now up to you to choose.

There is tons of API's you can use, one site specifically useful to find one is DevMaster. Best for you yourself to determine based on how you want the game to function which best suites your needs.
Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement