2D OpenGL SDL Engine Help

Started by
7 comments, last by Inmate2993 17 years, 4 months ago
I have decided that writeing my own 2d engine is way too much work for a mere 2d side scrolling gravity defineing game, so before loseing an arm and leg from doing so, I was wondering if thier is any free Engines for SDL&&OGL that would be good for a 2D side scroller? If not how about Win32&&OGL? Imensly Apreciated -Mad_Koder (spoof)
Dont need one.... i'm so cool, dont ask me just do what you do..... meet me in the trap its going down....
Advertisement
Does anyone know a SDL OGL engine off hand that is good?
Dont need one.... i'm so cool, dont ask me just do what you do..... meet me in the trap its going down....

SDL, would work good yes, but dont know how too make trees and liked list so i cant really code a great oop design, so is it fine to make a game in a non oop style, or will it be a lot harder (how much so)? And yes I do know SDL and how to blit image etc., I could review the tutorials though as i am a tad rusty. Is it a lot faster if you include gl.h and glu.h instead of SDL_opengl.h?

Thanks

~Mad_Koder (spoof)

I have a SDL and OpenGL library that was originally intended for 2D game development (I've made a few games with it so far). I use it for all new development, so might be worth a check.

I'm still planning on doing a better release in the new year with nicer namespacing, cleaner shader class design and more stuff, but the 2D core of the library is there and works well.

You'll probably need to roll your own level format, map collision and whatnot, but there's enough stuff there to make a decent sized game without having to spend time writing texture and font loaders (for one).

If you have questions, I'm generally online so you can harass me over AIM or MSN like it says on the site, or use the forums and IRC channel (I'm generally on IRC when I'm online).
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
I have a SDL and OpenGL library that was originally intended for 2D game development (I've made a few games with it so far). I use it for all new development, so might be worth a check.

I'm still planning on doing a better release in the new year with nicer namespacing, cleaner shader class design and more stuff, but the 2D core of the library is there and works well.

You'll probably need to roll your own level format, map collision and whatnot, but there's enough stuff there to make a decent sized game without having to spend time writing texture and font loaders (for one).

If you have questions, I'm generally online so you can harass me over AIM or MSN like it says on the site, or use the forums and IRC channel (I'm generally on IRC when I'm online).

Hey, I tried building PropaneInjector using Xcode using your tutorial, and I recieved this error:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4803/picture1jc1.png

Could you help me out?

Thanks
Have you linked (inserted in the project) the cpp files?
Quote:Original post by Max Piano
Have you linked (inserted in the project) the cpp files?

Yes, I have followed this tutorial exactly
http://ravuya.ballofdoom.com/propaneinjector/howto/Xcode/
For v0.7, I think it's been re-namespaced so instead of PI_initSDL and PI_initGL you'll have to use Propane::initSDL and Propane::initGL/initGL3D. It's part of the reason I recommend using v0.4 -- I haven't yet updated the documentation for the 1.0 release effort.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement