Sign in to follow this  
Nice Coder

Graphical file format

Nice Coder    366
At the moment, i'm building a small game (isometric mud, basically), along with the rest of a small team (10 people or so, mostly artists and writers). The problem is getting something that can be exported easily (from rhinocad), which then has all the information that i need. I was thinking of using .raw, which is a useable file format. (i already have a raw file loader). The problem with it is that it doesn't store any coloring/texture informaiton. i've looked over a few others but they all seem incredibly complex. Also, how would i store it internally? (to support things like animation, etc)?

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Nice Coder
At the moment, i'm building a small game (isometric mud, basically), along with the rest of a small team (10 people or so, mostly artists and writers).

The problem is getting something that can be exported easily (from rhinocad), which then has all the information that i need.

I was thinking of using .raw, which is a useable file format. (i already have a raw file loader).

The problem with it is that it doesn't store any coloring/texture informaiton.

i've looked over a few others but they all seem incredibly complex.

Also, how would i store it internally? (to support things like animation, etc)?

There are plenty of premade 3DS parsers out there.
for example http://scene3ds.sourceforge.net/3ds.zip.

You just have to find one with a compatible license for how you plan release your game. If not I am sure there are people here who can guide in writing a parser for 3DS or other format.

sevensevens    150
Let me make sure I understand the question. You're trying to export pre-rendered, 2D images right? If so, take a look at .BMP its not a very good format, but its pretty simple to read in (Windows has the header info for you already).