Vista APIs

Started by
6 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 4 months ago
I may have asked this question before in some form or another, but anyways: Will there be any new APIs with Vista, or simply updates to the Win32Api and the .Net framework? Looking at the Vista Wikipedia Page I see several new APIs listed in the "Developer Technologies" section, but they seem to be all part of the .NET Framework 3.0. It just makes me think that maybe the new windows application technologies are moving towards .NET and managed. Are they keeping native APIs alive, or are they changing their focus? I thought the .NET Framework was just a wrapper around traditional Windows APIs?
Advertisement
There are many new APIs in Vista. For example, there are many new COM interfaces relating to the new property system (such as IShellItem2 and IPropertyStore) and the new search subsystem (such as ISearchFolderItemFactory). If you dont want to use the COM side of Win32 there are still many new functions to work with. I've personally gotten a lot of use out of the DWM API.

In short, Win32 is not being replaced by .NET nor is it dying in any way.
It's kinda hard to tell if Microsoft wants developers to use .NET or not. You'd think they would, since they took the time to design and implement it, but at the same time, they don't push it very much.
Quote:Original post by Uphoreum
It's kinda hard to tell if Microsoft wants developers to use .NET or not. You'd think they would, since they took the time to design and implement it, but at the same time, they don't push it very much.
I hope that was a joke!

For instance, VS2005 Express works immediately with .NET but you have to jump through hoops to use Win32.
If you've attended or watched any Microsoft seminar in the last few years then their push to .NET should be rather apparent.
It just makes some of us push back[smile]
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
Oh yea, I guess that's true.

Nevermind. I don't know what I'm talking about, lol

It's just, people always say that it won't be used for professional game development, or, at least that's what I got out of it.
Quote:Original post by Uphoreum
... It's just, people always say that it won't be used for professional game development ...
http://msdn.com/xna

:-)
Joel Martinez
http://codecube.net
[twitter]joelmartinez[/twitter]
I know, but I read that people see XNA as a hobbyist API, and professionals won't use it (event XNA Pro), but I suppose that's just someones opinion.
Professionals will be using a different setup with development boxes etc. XNA IS for hobbyists. But professionals can develop applications to woo MS with too for the cheap using XNA. A lot of it will translate over.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement