Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gleidinger

DirectDraw or DirectGraphics

Hi people, in DirectX8 is the 2D and 3D in one package, the DirectGraphics. I want to write a game in 2D, but I have only Tuts and Books about DirectX7. Where can I get some Tuts to do this in DirectGraphics without this whole 3D stuff? Or shall I write it with DirectX7. Excuse my bad english. Thanks for help.

Stick with DirectDraw. You can use Ddraw7 for the graphics and use DirectX8 for the rest. Just don''t use DirectGraphics when you''re using DirectDraw.

I actually came across the same problem as you.

I am now making a 2d game and I am new to directx.

I decided to use directx8 for graphics. There few good tutorials on the web for example one is at
www15.brinkster.com/furby100/

The second graphics tutorial there will show two techniques of puting 2d sprites on the screen.

A third option is to use ID3DXSprite interphase which will give you alot of good support although it can be slower then implementing a 2d sprite directly using 3d features

If you decide to implement your own 2d sprite using direct3d you will have to learn some stuff about 3d programing. I dont see how that can be bad in any case.

There is one book on directx8 that was published 3 days ago. You can find it on www.amazon.com No one obviously got it yet.

quote:
Original post by DrunkenHyena
If you want to write 2D games, I highly recommend that you use CDX. It''s a wrapper on top of DX7. Very nice. www.cdxlib.com

yeah but then you won''t learn anything.
Which is the whole point!

quote:
If you get the D3D8 interface (DirectGraphics) there is NO DirectDraw functionality. None. You have to fake it all with textured triangles.

yeah but it''s not too hard to figure out, and it''ll give a quick intro to using DX8 without having to worry about all the problems that come with fully 3D projects.
Besides the image/texture loading utils in DX8 are very usefull.

"Bad Day... F**K it!" -Stephen Baldwin (Usual Suspects)