Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[beating a dead horse]

This topic is 6119 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

yesterday i was thinking about the whole dx v ogl debate and i wanted to share some of my ideas with you people... i have for over a year now been playing around with ogl and am fairly comfortable. today i am switching to dx; why, you ask? my reasons are four-fold: 1-dx has the hel; a card need not support a specific feature for it to work (though this really slows things down). ogl crashes and burns if you''re card doesn''t support it. 2-dx8 now has vertex and pixel shaders, giving we the coder more control than we''ve had since the days of software rasterization. 3-nvidia has taken over 3dfx, the major competition. now they have a strangle hold on the market (not a monopoly; there are other great products out there). 4-nvidia (with their dominance of the graphics board market) has entered into a partnership with microsoft (who develop dx)...lets think about this. on one hand, the biggest graphics chip producing, on the other, the developer of one api, both working together. i am not forcasting the doom of ogl, but it seems likely in the near future that dx will be more completely integrated with the graphics boards out there. Thus is my reasoning. ogl does have it''s points, especially it''s cross-platform support, and it is not com based. this last point is becoming less of an issue though as dx8 abstracts the com a bit more... <(o)>

Guest Anonymous Poster
I do think you are wrong but some of the questions is interesting.
1 - No, this is just some kind of missunderstanding
2 - So does ogl the question is which one has the best support, it will takes time before we know the answer. This is not something finished.
3 - with all commercial games being optimized for gf3 can nvidia get a "90% monopoly" in the near future. The only competition comes from ATI.
4 - Maybe, maybe not time will tell but ogl will certainly not die. How well the X-box will sell should affect the future of DX. I guess it is reasonable to predict that D3D will continue to be the most popular alternative for commercial games on the MS platforms.

Even if I do not agre can I understand how you think. Another good ogl points is the documentation, samples and community.

Good luck and remember that you can always go back...

Personally I like both OGL and DX. And I think they''re fundamentally so similar that it''s hard to differentiate much between them. But I would like to say that yes, OGL does have software support, and it seems to be generally faster than DX''s (not that it matters much). And as for the pixel shaders, how do you use them in OGL? Is it some extension I haven''t been able to find yet?

As for nVidia, if you''ve looked around in their little community of people in forums and stuff, you''ll find a ton of Mac and OGL people who seem to hate Microsoft (why I could never guess). nVidia''s partnership with them is more likely to just equalize things than put DX on top (let''s face it DX is quite a bit behind OGL these days in terms of users).

Oh yeah, as for the COM-based stuff, DX8 makes that pretty much invisible. No more COM for me!

I''ll just make my engine allowing for both APIs. That way it''ll run on Macs as well as the XBox with little modification.

You people who are passionate about this debate probably hate people like me. =P

If you go to Nvidia''s website and look at the developer section, you''ll see that Nvidia has OpenGL extensions for Vertex and Pixel shaders that are more flexible then the DX8 versions (which are generic). The extensions work basically the same as the DX8 ones (same language, etc.)

quote:
Original post by Impossible

If you go to Nvidia''s website and look at the developer section, you''ll see that Nvidia has OpenGL extensions for Vertex and Pixel shaders that are more flexible then the DX8 versions (which are generic). The extensions work basically the same as the DX8 ones (same language, etc.)

The DX8 ones were licensed from NVidia, they are not more generic.

The biggest problem with OpenGL (and the reason I chose to go with DX) is lack of support in a lot of cards. My first dev machine has a Savage S540 which card horrendous OpenGL support. Now it has a Matrox G400, which has much better but still not stellar OpenGL. Both cards had great DX. Other than the new NVidia (and maybe ATI, not sure) most cards have really bad OpenGL support.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena