Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Intrepid Hero Steve

Question about DirectSetup in DirectX 8.0a

I''m having a problem with DirectSetup. I am trying to understand what files you need and where they are supposed to exist. Suppose that your setup directory is named SETUP, and the redistribute directory is named MY_REDIST. According to Windows Game Programming for Dummies (Page 356), the directories should look like this:

SETUP\
YOUR_SETUP_APP.EXE
DSETUP.DLL
DSETUP16.DLL
DSETUP32.DLL

MY_REDIST\
DSETUP.DLL
DSETUP16.DLL
DSETUP32.DLL
DIRECTX\
{DirectX Files}

NOTE: The SETUP and MY_REDIST directories aren''t necessarily within the same parent directory. Notice the DIRECTX subdirectory within MY_REDIST. According to the book, this is how it''s supposed to be. I tested the setup using program 15-1 from the book, and the DirectX 8.0a SDK. The book suggests looking for the REDIST directory within the SDK. I found it, but the structure was different. It looked like this:

REDIST\
DIRECTX8\
DSETUP.DLL
DSETUP32.DLL
{Other files}

If I copied all of the files in the REDIST\DIRECTX8 directory into my MY_REDIST directory (without a DIRECTX subdirectory), then DirectSetup worked. If I made a DIRECTX subdirectory, it didn''t work. As of yet, I haven''t tried making a DIRECTX8 subdirectory. So my question is, which setup is right? I know what works, but I can''t understand why. Is this a change that was made in DirectX 8? I found no explicit documentation for such a change. The only clue I found was a blurb in the readme file in DX8.0a setup sample DxInstall(located in \samples\multimedia\misc\dxinstall). According to the readme, here''s what you do to set up the example: "First copy the entire contents of the Redist\DirectX8 folder from the DirectX SDK CD into the same folder as DXInstall.exe." Can anybody confirm this issue, or explain it? Also, does anybody know what happened to DSETUP16.DLL? Is that no longer needed? I''d appreciate any help. Vanna, I''d like to buy a clue. -- Intrepid Hero Steve

What do you need to fiddle with directsetup for? That''s to include on published game CDs so people don''t have to download & install Dx5,7,8,... on thier own.

Typically a game puts a ''Install Dx8'' button on the AutoPlay startup program that runs DxSetup.

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- The disgruntled & disillusioned

Though I am an experienced programmer, I am still relatively new to DirectX. I have been learning about DirectX from a book, and the book suggests using DirectSetup for the same reasons that you give: to allow the user to install directly from your CD. This is why I want to learn about it.

You offer an alternative solution, which I appreciate. Still, my natural curiosity drives me to seek answers to my original questions, regardless of a workable solution. This is how I learn.

At this point, I''m convinced that the directory structure changed, even though there is no clear documentation to reflect this change. The book I''m using is a little old (DirectX 5.0), so the change could have occurred somewhere between version 5.0 and version 8.0a.

If anybody can shed additional light, I''d be interested.

-- Intrepid Hero Steve