unreal source

Started by
7 comments, last by cyberg 23 years ago
hello guys i wonder if the unreal or unreal tournament source are somewhere on internet. if you know somewhere i can download it, it will be really great, thanx!!! (i already have quake3a source, but its in opengl, i want a source with d3d) cyberg
cyberg- cyberg_coder@hotmail.com- http://members.xoom.com/cybergsoft
Advertisement
Game companies don''t typicaly give away their 3d game engine source code while companies are still licencing it for $20,000 or so to make games with it. However they do give away game source code so that people can make MODS for games like quake 3. This type of source code usualy isn''t dependant on OpenGL or DirectX because the game engine abstracts that from the user. So to answer your question you can probably find the Game source code to unreal on a place like www.planetunreal.com but you will not find the engine source code anywhere.

Joseph Fernald
Software Engineer
Red Storm Entertainment.
------------------------
The opinions expressed are that of the person posting
and not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Well your not likely to find the whole source anywhere, there is
some stuff here:

openut.sourceforge.net

A project mainly to improve the opengl renderer on linux, but there may be other renderers/stuff available - i dont know

Z.
4get about getting the unreal source and the q3a source u have is probably their source release 4 making mods not the engine source. write your own code it''ll be more fun and you''ll learn something

The Universe was created with a single word
The Universe was created with a single wordJibrael
Tribes 2 Engine Licensing
quote:Taken from the GarageGames website

GarageGames announces an historic agreement to sell and license the technology engine powering Sierra's Tribes 2 to independent game makers world-wide. Now dubbed the V12 Engine , GarageGames will be enhancing the engine and selling it to game makers for $100. more

Edited by - Jonus on March 23, 2001 4:48:50 PM
do u think that engine is worth buying for simply using as a learning experience on making an engine like that or no?
do u think that engine is worth buying for simply using as a learning experience on making an engine like that or no?
Sorry i don''t know if the engine is worth the money. Click on the link and build your own opinion .
The most current version of the Unreal engine starts at $225,000, Lithtech starts at $50,000 and NetImmerse at $120,000. I stopped at the booths for all three at the GDC and basically asked how a student is suppose to learn these engines. It seems to be a problem because they didn''t have an answer. It is a problem that worries me a good deal. When I came out of school few companies used relational databases or only used them on a very limited basis. Mostly they wrote their own databases using basic access methods. Now virtually no one rolls their own and instead use a 3rd party database management system. I feel it is pretty inevitable that most game companies will shift to using 3rd party game engines.

My interest is in specializing in performance and knowing the major engines is a key component of being able to pursue my interests. Realistically I can''t spend $225,000 on an engine so that I can learn it well enough to work as a consultant for how to get the most out of it. Spending that kind of money is only feasible when can earn a million and up in revenue off of it. Even without my specialize interest it is a problem for anyone trying to break into the industry. Knowing the engine would help you get the job, but you need the job to learn the engine. Hopefully long term these companies realize that it is in their best interest to make these engines easily available to developers. Overall the easier it is to hire talent that knows an engine the easier it is to sell the engine. Currently many seem to be taking a short-term view, i.e. if you can''t afford the engine then you are of no interest to them. Eventually they will realize that having a larger pool of developers that know how to use their engine than their competitors is a competitive advantage. Regretably we don''t seem to be there yet.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement